Sonata Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I know its a topic that i have researched without any definitive answer, and i am reaching out to the community to see if anyone has actually successfully installed a factory navigation unit in place of the standard stereo in your Sonata.

I already know the pre-requirements and have them in place. I have replaced all of my factory speakers with Kicker components and i have installed an 8" kicker in the factory location. I have installed 2 amps, one 400 to drive the 8 and one 650 to drive the doors.
Everything works and sounds great, but i started this project a few months ago with the aspirations that someone would post a "how to" on installing the factory navigation unit, and i am tired of waiting :p so i am asking you guys or just going all in, and purchasing the navigation unit and trying.

To answer the question before anyone asks, no i dont want after market. I want to keep all blue link features in the steering wheel controls, voice dial, POI from the mobile app, etc..

What you guys think? I can post some pics this evening or tomorrow. If you're interested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I have a 2011 SE with standard radio, & thought I could just pop that out & install the upgraded factory Navi/radio unit...didn't know speakers/amps had to added too...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering the same thing. I have a 2011 SE with standard radio, & thought I could just pop that out & install the upgraded factory Navi/radio unit...didn't know speakers/amps had to added too...

Yea unfortunately the factory nav unit does not have a built in amp to push the speakers so it requires an amp to deliver the power. It's definitely been a pain in the ass so far. Not sure my next route is going to be, right now it looks like i'll be trying it to see if i can make it work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, thnx for the info...I'm just gonna try & find a direct replacement radio. I'm sure there is something available.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yeah, thnx for the info...I'm just gonna try & find a direct replacement radio. I'm sure there is something available.
Going aftermarket is always best. Don't forget to get an aftermarket headunit harness so you wont have to splice into your wiring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Compass-Nav system is $795.00. Spoke to the owner, sending me some brochures. This system apparently doesn't remove the radio so no need for different speakers, etc. Has map updates available as they become available if one chooses to update. Installers are limited in my area through.
Very interesting conversation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking at some after markets on ebay, and it says only compatible with non amplified systems. So how do I know if my radio is amplified? I think my radio is the next step up from the base model it says dimension audio. Is this model amplified? If so do you think an OEM navigation unit would be plug and play other than the GPS antenna?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts