Sonata Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
now black that lower valance so the front end looks better! i'm doing mine tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
The grill looks awesome! Since I have the same color I know how it might look now with the matte black grill.

now black that lower valance so the front end looks better! i'm doing mine tomorrow!
For some reason I wanna do the same to mine but I don't know if the removal of the front bumper its required...

·
Registered
109 Posts
The grill looks awesome! Since I have the same color I know how it might look now with the matte black grill.

For some reason I wanna do the same to mine but I don't know if the removal of the front bumper its required...
it is and it isn't. i took mine off so it was easier and i set it on my foldable sawhorses.

unfortunately i have to re-do it all tomorrow because i forgot i need to mount the LED DRL strips on the bumper first and then spray it. i'm afraid if i mount the strips ON the plastidip, if they ever for some god awful reason start to come loose and fall, all the plastidip will come down with it since it would be attached to it!

hoping to have my front end done the end of this week!

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
That sucks then because I don't want to start removing things on this car... I had an older car and didn't mind taking it apart however since the Sonata its my first brand new car I have, I'm worried if I take apart stuff it will not be the same so I guess to modify you gotta play... :(

·
Registered
109 Posts
i ended up not re-doing the whole valance today woohoo!...i took a little bit of mineral spirits and put it on a q-tip, i rubbed it on the area that was rough edges and wiped off any excess....taped off that area and sprayed coats of plasti dip on just that area and voila...you can't even tell i touched it up!

look for pics very soon..i'm just waiting on a day to clean the car!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sucks then because I don't want to start removing things on this car... I had an older car and didn't mind taking it apart however since the Sonata its my first brand new car I have, I'm worried if I take apart stuff it will not be the same so I guess to modify you gotta play... :(

You don't have to remove the bumper if you have a short phillips head screw driver....I will take a pic and get a short how to on here for you. there are 4 screws that hold the grille on that you can gently pull the front bumper forward on to get to them.....they require only about 10 turns to get the screws out, but it is a tight space!!

Look under the hood.....take the clips out along the top of the grill....remove the 2 bolts...10mm I think....near the headlight on the top of the bumper. The bumper has 2 little holes where the knotch in the front end hold it in place in addition....a slight lift and pull forward will release it.......now pry forward and reach in to get the screws out with the short driver. It is REALLY easy!!

The Garnish is a 5 minute thing. There are 6 nuts and one clip. The clip us dead center......get the nuts removed and then push each sire of the clip with a small flathead screwdriver while gently pushing it out.....pull the entire garnish up and it is done......pop on the new on which has the small weatherstripping on it and you are all set!!

I will still try and get you pics of what and where by this weekend!!:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also have a roll of matte black vinyl and plan on wrapping the chrome this week......I did the trunk garnish already which was a test run...the vinyl my wife got me is great and resist bubbles so it is super easy to put on and can be heated to go around the curves as well!! I will get pics up as soon as it is done!!

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Here is a good Youtube video of changing out the Sonata grill.

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is a good Youtube video of changing out the Sonata grill. 2011 Sonata Tuning Grill - YouTube
No need for the drill on the clips lol......that small screw drive is a must though!

I watched this video a while back for when the time came that I would get a grille.......seriously easy and saves me from having to make a video! Lol! Thanks Torch!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Nice, sounds good to me!

You don't have to remove the bumper if you have a short phillips head screw driver....I will take a pic and get a short how to on here for you. there are 4 screws that hold the grille on that you can gently pull the front bumper forward on to get to them.....they require only about 10 turns to get the screws out, but it is a tight space!!

Look under the hood.....take the clips out along the top of the grill....remove the 2 bolts...10mm I think....near the headlight on the top of the bumper. The bumper has 2 little holes where the knotch in the front end hold it in place in addition....a slight lift and pull forward will release it.......now pry forward and reach in to get the screws out with the short driver. It is REALLY easy!!

The Garnish is a 5 minute thing. There are 6 nuts and one clip. The clip us dead center......get the nuts removed and then push each sire of the clip with a small flathead screwdriver while gently pushing it out.....pull the entire garnish up and it is done......pop on the new on which has the small weatherstripping on it and you are all set!!

I will still try and get you pics of what and where by this weekend!!:D

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
The videos helps a lot, looks easy enough to perform the removal and the small screwdriver its a must. :).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts