Sonata Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After driving my wife's '11 SE T, it seems to me that both the high and low beams are not as bright as they should be. My old Ford Explorer and my current Trailblazer SS have much better lights. Is this a know issue or is it possible something is wrong with her car? Its an '11 with only 15K miles on the clock. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm going to assume your 2011 Sonata SE headlights look like this

Look into buying an HID kit.

If you want to keep the HID kit at a legal color buy one that is 4300-4500k

As for what bulb size HID kit you need to look in your manual to find what your bulb size is.

From my memory its a H7 bulb.

I remember you had to drill into the dust cap to run the wiring. If you don't want to tackle this yourself contact a trustworthy local audio an alarm shop to install it for you. It shouldn't cost more than $60 to install.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes those are the lights that are on the car. I'll look into the kit, thanks! Do you know if it makes a large difference?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm going to assume your 2011 Sonata SE headlights look like this

Look into buying an HID kit.

If you want to keep the HID kit at a legal color buy one that is 4300-4500k

As for what bulb size HID kit you need to look in your manual to find what your bulb size is.

From my memory its a H7 bulb.

I remember you had to drill into the dust cap to run the wiring. If you don't want to tackle this yourself contact a trustworthy local audio an alarm shop to install it for you. It shouldn't cost more than $60 to install.
even 6000k HID's would keep him legal, rarely will a cop bother you over 6000k HID's as they do have a bit of a blue hue to them but are mostly white.

4300-4500 is a bit too yellowish for my liking.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes those are the lights that are on the car. I'll look into the kit, thanks! Do you know if it makes a large difference?
it makes a huge difference as long as you keep the color rating down around 4000-4500k

If you have the guts go for a 55 watt HID kit and power it via the relay that comes with the HID kit. It'll be even brighter.

My recommendation is a Morimoto HID kit from retrosolutions.

Best aftermarket HID kits in the industry. Ask anyone who knows.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Getting an HId is your best bet for road coverage with the light beam. It makes a huge difference and the price has really come down. You could probably find a kit on Amazon for $60.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I honestly recommend the HID kit from DDM Tuning, I had them in my last car for about 5 years and never had a problem with them. If you want to stay legal as someone said and have the OEM bulb color go with 4300-4500K and maybe 6000K, however the higher the kelvin (8000K) will be worse and you won't be able to see night because those are mainly for looks. The DDM Tuning HID kit cost $30 which is probably the cheapest option out there and with a lifetime warranty.

·
Automotive Lighting Experts
422 Posts
Shoot me a PM or email: [email protected]

Even if you just want to learn more about HID's! I'd strongly advise against any 55 watt HID kits, they run much hotter than 35 watt kits and they greatly increase the risk of damaging your factory components.

Nick C.

·
Automotive Lighting Experts
422 Posts
HID's will be a tremendous increase in output over the factory halogen bulbs!

Plus with an added relay, you won't have to worry about flickering at all

Shoot me an email if you have lighting questions. I can explain the basics to you to eliminate confusion

Thanks,
Nick C.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had an '03 Mazda 6 before I bought my '13 Sonata, and I upgraded the OEM halogen bulbs to HID. I noticed the beam pattern changed quite a bit - the cutoff wasn't as sharp, and while the light output was much brighter, it didn't seem to throw as far. Have any of you guys seen that with HID upgrades? I realize I bumped an old thread - my bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts