Sonata Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I recently (< 8000 miles ago) bought a Sonata GLS 2012 Stick for what I thought was a a decent deal. Unfortunately for me, I think I made a terrible decision as I am now stuck with a car that for all intents and purposes I HATE.

Starting with the seats in the car, Pleasant and comfy feeling in the dealership, now sends pain shooting down my legs and are maybe the most un-adjustable, uncomfortable and stiff seats in existence. The stiff cheap seat cushions do almost nothing to cover the metal framework under it. SO, step one, can anyone recommend a cheap remedy to the crappy seats in the car? Has anyone else come up with anything? DIY, Seat covers, whatever. I'm, even considering buying new seats for the car, though I have to admit, its very cost prohibitive. Besides why put nice seats in a car I will get do my best to get rid of as soon as I can afford to.

Next is the road noise. I had no idea it was poissible for a cars road noise to be so bad. On smooth clean roads (of which NY has very very few of) it is quiet, but the moment the roads get a little older or rough its like rediculous. Really Really Rediculous. At 1/2 volume, I can barely hear a talk radio show. Am I the only one experienceing this? If so what remedies can be used to reduce road noise in the car? Im considering Tires because that too on this car are maybe the worst I have ever been on and assume road noise could be through the tires.

Speaking of tires, what total crap. No grip, no road control, horrible. They are already very worn due to the bad grip. Obviously the fix is to go buy 4 new tires, but at less than 8k miles, I am really not wanting to do that. I bought this car because it was supposed to be a smart buy, that all goes out the window with each additional purchase I make to reach a livable ride.

Next on the list is the trunk mat. I could not actually believe they would make the trunk wheel cover thing out of cardboard but that is actually what hyundai though made sense back there. Well, it was already flimsy, once I put a few things back there, well, it all ended up around my spare and the cardboard holds no shape any longer. Does anyone know of any better covers or stiffners to use for that?

Suspension, Im not sure if this is also a tire issue, but my car floats on the road like a balloon in a windstorm. Is there anything that can be done about this? Its very unnerving to have a car that you have to keep from making lane changes on its own. I assume the wheel hop in first is more my inability to manage the stick in this car (which is also super annoying). A little too quick off the clutch... stall, a little too much gas hop hop hop hop. Worst stick/engine combination ever, but i can deal with it for now.

I could go on and on honestly, but these are my biggest issues. I joined this form with hopes that some of the lovers of these cars had some solutions. Honestly, I don't know how anyone could love a hyundai, but, maybe I just got a lemon. From the aluminum foil shell that dents by looking at it to the torturous seats to the cheap paint to the crappy tires, this car in my opinion was a very bad deal. If I could go back to the dealer and return it I would. But I cant, so I am hoping someone can help me with at least some of these issues.

God I hate that car. I feel duped and ripped off.

Oh, one last question, should I decide to try and sell it, is the warranty transferable? Just wondering if I can at least use that "benefit" as a way to get rid of it on the private market.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
wow.sounds like you have some legitimate things to complain about.

I haven't bought this car yet and your testimony could make me change my mind. up to now I felt pretty positive about the Sonata.

I had heard about the wandering on the highway but not all the other negative stuff you mention.

I think for seats you would be on the right track to get decent padded seat covers.

There was a service bulletin in 2012 that authorized Hyundai dealers to replace struts and do an alignment free of charge. Not sure if this helps you but maybe print this out and bring it to your dealer and raise it as an issue you want fixed.

Hyundai struggles to fix wandering Sonata syndrome

Hyundai to fix wandering Sonatas after Jalopnik report

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, i think i may do that. I am currently blaming myself, I was looking for a bargain and I did settle for basically the lowest model line of the car. That said, i would not buy this car any which way it comes equipped. A deluxe model puts you in a category where you have a lot more options for other vehicles. I thought it would be a good bargain car and expected to not "love it". I did not expect to outright hate it. It is unfortunate. The funny thing is, i can understand why people would liek the car. I really would. However every one of those things are cosmetic. As far as a good driving machine, i just find it to be failing or very weak. If you know the store harbor freight, its basically that in a car. I probably am raging a bit in my above post. I should not have maybe been so vengeful, but i stalled out 2x on my way home today and my dander was getting up with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey sorry to hear your not happy with the vehicle. I can relate with you as my last vehicle, though a Chevy Malibu, was a base/stripped model. Bought the cheapest I could to save money for my daily commuter. But this time around I had the same intentions but couldn't walk away from a great deal that came my way. Like you said maybe the fact that you got a base model is the reason for some of your issues/concerns.

Test drive I was in love, then my seats where uncomfortable for the first week or two. But then I found the right positioning for it and now I'm very comfortable. I too was thinking about trade-in or replacing the seats completely.... but luckily for me it worked out. Perhaps your base model has thinner/cheaper seats and maybe a seat cushion/back pad would help. That was going to be my first step in trying to make the seating better.

I have not noticed excessive road noise so I can't help you there....and half of my commuting is with talk radio so it's not just loud music drowning it out.

Not sure on tires, I'm still under 3k miles without issues. I do have 18's so my tires would be different than yours.

Trunk mat, don't most cars come with carpeted/cardboard covers for spare tires that are in the trunk? My Malibu was the same way but I never had a problem with it. If yours is sinking in maybe you can get a few pieces of wood under the mat like a cross beam for support? Or get a thin sheet of wood under the mat.

Suspension does seem a little loose and airy at times but rare and manageable for me. I'm keeping an eye on my car, sometimes it does seem to stray left slightly. I've noticed it seems to happen more so when I'm on the gas so I'm not sure if I'm trying to make an issue out of nothing. Maybe just torque steering? Reading all the stories of pulling may have gotten in my head. I will mention it at my first service. I didn't even know they offered stick shift, can't help you there.

Hopefully you'll figure a few things out and it will get better. Good luck with everything. Oh and I'm not sure but I don't think the 10yr/100k is transferrable, think the next owner would get 5yr/60k from manufacture date??

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think the seat issue is user to user. I've read a few people who have hated the seats but personally I think they are fine. Even some of the other issues like road noise. It just depends on your tolerance. I don't find it to be especially quiet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sonata is Definitely a Horrible Ride

I traded my 2010 Elantra to get the 2013 Sonata. The Elantra was comfortable and had a smooth and quiet ride for a small car. I expected the Sonata to be quieter and more comfortable. I was wrong. I also notice that I have leg and back pain after a long drive. The road noise at highway speeds is unbearable. On smooth concrete surfaces, the car gets a wheel hop at about 75 mph. We will definitely trade ours for a non-Hyundai within a year or two.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I own a 2013 Sonata SE turbo. I love this as I did my 2012 Sonata SE. I just made a 2000 mile trip and it was very responsive, with no problems with steering. The road noise wasn't terrible. What size and make tires do you have on your Sonata? I know you must be frustrated and I do hope the best for you. You spend money for something and you expect it to suit your needs. The seat problem you are having really surprises me. After 8000 miles your seats deteriorated on you?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I traded my 2010 Elantra to get the 2013 Sonata. The Elantra was comfortable and had a smooth and quiet ride for a small car. I expected the Sonata to be quieter and more comfortable. I was wrong. I also notice that I have leg and back pain after a long drive. The road noise at highway speeds is unbearable. On smooth concrete surfaces, the car gets a wheel hop at about 75 mph. We will definitely trade ours for a non-Hyundai within a year or two.
wheel hop is under acceleration only, if you're steady state cruising at 75 mph wheel hop is actually impossible.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Sounds like you're not happy with your purchase... I bought mine brand new and up to now I'm happy with the car so far, I'm 6'2 and it is very comfortable but I think like you mentioned the seats are a bit hard and my only complaint that I think with the car its the bottom seat side bolsters are showing lots of wear in mine so I'm disappointed of that. Honestly there is minimum road noise even at low volume setting therefore I take consideration that my SE turbo came with the sporty 18s wheels and if I'm right those have low profile tires so can't complain that much.

My best bet is taking the car to the dealer and see what they can do. :(

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Sadly mine only has ~3,500 miles on it.
I'm getting close to 3000 on mine. I have 215,000 on my little Honda. I hope my Sonata will do that as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.