Sonata Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RPM shoots up and I can feel the car "pull back" when my new 2013 Sonata Ltd Turbo down shifts from 4th to 3rd gear exactly at 30 MPH. This occurs every time when I hit 30 MPH while I'm not pressing on gas pedal or brakes. Can't feel the same when I'm breaking to decelerate, but only when I'm decelerating while coasting. :confused:

Dealer tells me that nothing's wrong with it and only some owners "complain" about it, so there are no real fixes. :mad:

Anyone out there who knows how to fix this issue? I feel like "that's how the car is" is wrong - considering that it's a brand new car.:(

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sorry to say, but it seems to be normal behavior of the transmission. It will downshift automatically. The shifts can be abrupt and feel harsh. If enough owners complain about it, Hyundai can issue a TSB and have a fix for the TCU (transmission control unit). They had similar complaints in the older model.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Downshifting being harsh - is it because it's a turbo or it's just how Sonatas are? This has never happened to me in any other car (I drive weekly in a new rental car). I can't believe that other Sonata owners simply accept this as "normal". :(

·
Registered
156 Posts
Generally it takes a while for the transmission to "learn" how you drive... most of us older model owners have noticed better shifting after a transmission fluid change. Anything but the OEM fluid should be better. I'm not sure if it will remedy the newer YF though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
riceR, the dealer reset it twice in hopes that my transmission will "learn". First time, I drove it around 3K miles and the downshifting issue did not change. :( That's why I am seeking out some answers. I will take it to another dealer and see if they can provide some assistance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine 2011 2.0T doesn't downshift "hard" but you notice it. I can make it downshift hard manually. But under normal drive, it's smooth. My transmission failed at 58k.
Front pump leaked and that caused it to "jump" when downshifting . They replaced the transmission. No problems after that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My RPM shoots up and I can feel the car "pull back" when my new 2013 Sonata Ltd Turbo down shifts from 4th to 3rd gear exactly at 30 MPH. This occurs every time when I hit 30 MPH while I'm not pressing on gas pedal or brakes. Can't feel the same when I'm breaking to decelerate, but only when I'm decelerating while coasting. :confused:

Dealer tells me that nothing's wrong with it and only some owners "complain" about it, so there are no real fixes. :mad:

Anyone out there who knows how to fix this issue? I feel like "that's how the car is" is wrong - considering that it's a brand new car.:(
I have same car and experience same issue but I don't view it as a problem. The car is utilizing engine braking and yes it is not as smooth and refined as a V6. It bothered me at first but then I realized it is just helping you slow down and of course it is imperceptible when you are stepping on the brakes when it happens. Just think of it as your sweet little turbo is ready to explode with acceleration if you punch it after the downshift... There is no fix, it is just the personality of the vehicle, learn to love it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but WannaBTraveler, did you find any resolution to the problem? I've got the exact same issue with my brand-new '14 SE Turbo. I would say it is definitely not normal.

Mine did not start doing it until I had it for a couple of days...the first time it happened, it freaked me out! I thought I had accidentally kicked the emergency brake or something! It's not just a rough shift, but about 2 seconds of deceleration which makes you lurch forward. I haven't had the chance to get back to the dealer, but hopefully will go next week.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
For some reason I'm having the same issue with my '13 Sonata turbo... It happens every time at 30 mph while decelarting, I thought it had to do because I was driving it in ECO mode but even with that off still does it. I might test drive some Sonata this weekend to see if its normal if not I'll address that issue to the dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I finally got my car into the shop...unfortunately, it is a Nissan/Hyundai shop, and according to the salesman who sold me my car, they are not the best at dealing with newer Hyundai models.

Anyway, the guy told me the rough downshift/deceleration may have something to do with the alternator clutch (huh?), but it is "normal for turbos" (huh?).

When I mentioned this problem to the salesman, he said he's been selling and driving Hyundai's for 10 years, and never had this problem. So, I know the service shop is full of bull. Has anyone else gotten any resolution?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.