Sonata Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've installed plenty of HID kits in various cars (old & new).

i tried searching the forum and came up with nothing for my question

do I need a specific hid CANBUS kit for my 2013 sonata SE? or will any standard HID kit work?

i don't want to throw any codes/cel or have any noise or flicker with them so any advice would help! thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Rich -
I was wondering the same thing and am surprised you got no responses.

The link below is from the other Hyundai forum and this shouldn't replace any due diligence you were planning to do.. but according to this old post, the current generation of Sonata does not require the CAN-BUS kit.

My concern would be if Hyundai would try to wiggle out of a warranty claim for an HID modified headlight system.

Regarding Canbus Decoders And Anti Flicker Devices - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i honestly think there is none on this car. i think Canbus (for hyundai's) is only on the european models but i know people on some hyundai forums still use the canbus adapter, which i believe shouldn't be unless required (from what i researched!)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a search of canbus shows nothing.

i'd say you are good to go.
yea i'm already on the NO as far as canbus....hopefully will be getting the HID's before thanksgiving

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
When I purchased the HID system for my 2012 Sonata, I was told that I needed the*CANBUS kit to keep them from throwing errors.* I don't how true that is, but I thought the extra cost was worth the peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
yea i'm already on the NO as far as canbus....hopefully will be getting the HID's before thanksgiving
Keep us up to date on how it goes for you Rich since I want to install HID lows on my next Sonata.

·
Registered
222 Posts
On hyundai forums it seems like when people buy HID kits they do get the canbus ballasts.

But there are also posts where people say you don't need the canbus but you DO need a RELAY harness if you don't want to cause damage to your headlight control module.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
On hyundai forums it seems like when people buy HID kits they do get the canbus ballasts.

But there are also posts where people say you don't need the canbus but you DO need a RELAY harness if you don't want to cause damage to your headlight control module.
Second that!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
have you tried PMing Diode Dynamics? Seems if anyone would know about install would be the guys over there...
just did now. thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey RichB

Have you decided yet on an HID kit?
yeah i'm gonna go with DDM as i have dealt with them before and their customer service is great.

gonna get 2 8000k Kits and 2 relay harnesses (1 for lows, 1 for fogs). probably be a month or so before i purchase and install them though

·
Registered
9 Posts
yeah i'm gonna go with DDM as i have dealt with them before and their customer service is great.

gonna get 2 8000k Kits and 2 relay harnesses (1 for lows, 1 for fogs). probably be a month or so before i purchase and install them though
Cool. yeah I have used DDM tuning. Had a 35 watt Hi/Lo kit in my motorcycle. I even upgraded to 55 watt ballasts but honestly they look about as bright as the 35's so not really worth doing. Since then I upgraded to Morimoto H1 projectors but still am running the DDM ballasts. Had them a little over 3 years.

For the Sonata I am kind of piecing this together with parts gotten pretty cheap on Ebay. 4300k H7 hid bulbs, 35 watt ballasts and will run 2 relay harnesses 1 on each side. No plans currently for fogs (really not my thing).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts