Sonata Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've read through the threads on here I could find about the HID's but I still have a few questions.

I'm new to Hyundai, actually I just purchased the car and should be getting it tomorrow if the title comes in on time. I almost put HID's in my car a few years ago but didn't have money for projectors and knew the HIDs would ruin the stock housings.

So what I'm wondering is if these factory housings can realistically actually stand up to the increased heat of HIDs? If they can, is it just because they are projectors? I'd hate to ruin a car right when I buy it...

Also, the fog lights obviously aren't projectors, so is there a lot of free light and glare out of them when the HIDs are installed? I've seen all the pictures and they look beautiful but I don't want to be the guy driving down the road blinding people. That's annoying, never mind a safety hazard.

Pardon my "nubishness"

**Edit** 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited **Edit**

·
Registered
109 Posts
Prepare for a long post but hopefully this will help you:

I am/was in your situation. After researching and researching, I have finally ordered 2 sets of 6000K HID's with HID Relay Harnesses for both (H7 Lows/H8 Fogs) from DDM Tuning. My concern when looking was if the sonata is canbus. It's not. Only the EUROPEAN models of the sonata were/are canbus related.

Almost everyone will say HIDs are not recommended in stock housings. I've had HID's in my low/fogs in my 04 accord with NON projectors for 3 years and they are still working as we speak with the new owner in NC. I also installed 8000k DDM HID's in my wife's 07 tiburon (which has projector lows/fogs) and never had an issue with them either.

You're not gonna ruin the car with HID's, but if you have to take the car in for service that has to deal with something related to that area of the car, you might wanna take it out otherwise they will say that caused the problem (a common dealership complaint). If not, you can just fight it and bring up the Magnuson-Moss act (don't get me started, just google it).

Once I get all my lights installed and what not, I'll have plenty of photos so hopefully this helps you for now!

Cheers!

·
Registered
222 Posts
i doubt the HIDs will cause any warranty issues you will have with the dealership (except for headlight and lighting claims - and maybe some electrical claims if your HID kit is causing problems with your electrical system - doubt it)

you can put HIDs in halogen reflectors. It works

The reason its not recommended is because of the glare it produces

HIDs dont put out more heat than halogens.

If you don't want to get noticed that you have aftermarket HIDs but want more light out the front / stick with 4300-5000k (OEM kelvin ratings)

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I have never had any problems with HID lows (6000K) in my 2012 Sonata SE. They worked like a charm. And instead of putting HIDs in my fog housings, I went with LEDs to match the color of the HID lows. As far as I can remember, I never had anyone flash their lights at me.

I'm getting ready to do the same thing in my 2013 Sonata SE Turbo. I can't wait to get them which will be after the first of the year. Modifications are a one step at a time process, especially when you are waiting for funds. I have already ordered an Ultra Racing strut bar as well as the front and rear sway bars, a rear spoiler was added, internal LEDs as well as super bright backup lights are being installed. That has pretty much eaten up a lot of my Christmas bonus. After the first of the year it's going to be an Injen Short Ram Intake and of course the HIDs. Who knows from there. LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Definitely calmed my nerves. The LED fogs sound intriguing...

How is the visibility with them being that LEDs offer less light dispersion?

·
Premium Member
340 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Fog lights don't really throw out much light to start with..
They aim pretty much straight down

Personally I run HIDs in the fogs to match the main lights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Torchbearer: What stage LED did you go with that paired well with the 6000k? I'm probably going 4500k...

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Torchbearer: What stage LED did you go with that paired well with the 6000k? I'm probably going 4500k...
They are 6000K Stage 3 LEDs and they match perfectly with my 6000K HID lows. I honestly looked into HID fogs, but the 6000K Stage 3 LEDs for my fogs best suited my taste.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. The link you provided didn't seem to specify what level the 3 stages were. So would you assume that stage 2 would be a match to 4500k headlights?

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Thanks. The link you provided didn't seem to specify what level the 3 stages were. So would you assume that stage 2 would be a match to 4500k headlights?
You need to click on the partticular LED for your car, and it will take you to the area of stages you may want. The 6000K and 4500K are actually the color temperature and is measured in Kelvin (K). I hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I understand the kelvin measurements of the temperature. Just looking quick at the site I didn't notice any reference as to what stage matched up with what color temperature. I may have just missed something

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Yea I understand the kelvin measurements of the temperature. Just looking quick at the site I didn't notice any reference as to what stage matched up with what color temperature. I may have just missed something
When the fog LEDs appear... click on the one for your year/make and model of your car. Another window will pop up showing you the different stages.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts