Sonata Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited is coming up with a warning signal "Hybrid Safety Warning Do Not Drive". This has happened on three separate occasions. The common factor has been that I was driving the car on a 95+ degree F day and it happens when I pull in to park after driving for approximately 30 minutes. The car sounds an alarm and the message comes up on the dash above the steering wheel. Does anyone know what this is? Local dealership and Customer Care Line cannot provide explanation or fix.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Wow thats not good, sounds serious. With it still being a 2012 model, give your dealership or Hyundai a call to find out what it is. Do it ASAP, you don't want the car to leave you stranded.

Keep us posted on the issue.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Have you actually brought it into the dealership? I would assume if my car told me to stop driving it - I would probably stop.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yea well what it sounds like is the car tells her to stop driving after she has stopped driving, What it sounds like is her Sonata Hybrid is overheating to a certain degree. She said it happens on 95+ days after roughly 30 min of driving, which i assume to be city driving because freeway driving even on hot days is good for the vehicle...

Definitely call up the dealer just to see whats up but i dont think you are in any sudden danger, just your car getting a little unhappy.

I know that Nissan has ignored putting a cooling system in the CVT of the Nissan Leaf feeling most owners will use the vehicle in optimal conditions and drive gently with it. This could be the case of Hyundai assuming something similar and by you driving it in 95+ weather you've taken your Sonata out of "optimal conditions"

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am guessing that the warning is caused by the battery pack over heating. So, once the 95+ weather cools off, the battery pack should behave normally. I would call the Service Manager at your Hyundai dealer for his opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine was doing it too but it was only 37* F outside. However, I guess the battery could still overheat. Did you figure it out?

·
Registered
1 Posts
On another website I saw that another person was having the same problem, my car is with the dealership for the second time, they couldn't find the problem the first time and now it is happening more frequently. So I digress, on another website some guy found it was a Neutral Safety Switch makes sense to me because it happens when I put it in park.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do have a Hyundai 2012 Sonata Hybrid, while going in Free way Vehicle stop and display came Hybrid System warning safely stop and do not drive. Taken the car to three different dealer in Houston and every one is explaining there is no issue, finally report to national Customer support they are telling we will discuss with dealer and comeback to you. This is the most dangerous car presently available from Hyundai. No one has manufacture such a bad car like this company. No doubt they are best in advertisement even my car is under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Dillip,

I also live in the Houston area and my 2015 sonata hybrid light just came on. Did you got any answer from national Customer support.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You got warnings,, have dealer do a COMPLETE FAULT CODE SEARCH of all the onboard modules,, since most all is tied together on Communication Area Network,, you want to see everything, and if anything tied together..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Sonata Hybrid which already had the engine replaced from the class action law suit from the debris in the de-burring process of the block. Now the hybrid system failure light comes on and Techline the company they use here in Las Vegas has no clue on what is wrong with it. They are telling me that the system is overcharging the batteries but they cannot tell me why. I've got Hyundai USA involved to hope to resolve this issue one way or another.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts