Sonata Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my 2013 sonata with 56K miles blew its engine on the highway. I had it transported to my local Hyundai dealer and have started the process for replacement. The dealership has said there is a 50/50 chance Hyundai covers it.

I read on this thread that people were denied because of not having the knock sensor recall 953 done, but I checked and that campaign ended in 2019. I am the second owner of this vehicle and this car was purchased at the end of 2020.

I wanted to know if anyone could detail their experience with this recall? Additionally, I'm a med student and paid for the vehicle on my own money, but the car is under my dad's name and I'm on the insurance under him for this vehicle. Will this be an issue? Do they ask for proof of ownership like a title or something? I'm wondering if I need to make my case manager aware of this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Problems like this never come at a good time.

Haven't needed the engine change, so I have no firsthand advice to give there. However, based on my local dealer's experience, dealerships are inundated with Sonata engine replacements. Some are overwhelmed and not eager to see another one come through the door.

Get in touch with another dealership as a backup. I'm suspicious of the 50-50 chance of a replacement your dealership said. The engine replacement program was the result of a class action lawsuit. Hyundai or the dealership can't arbitrarily deny their court agreed upon obligation.

Do a little research on the settlement and find out the next step to take if the dealership isn't cooperative.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts