Sonata Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was taking a look at the differences between the Toyota Prius and the Hyundai Sonata and I was perplexed by what I found.

Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
- MSRP $30,550
- 36 mpg city / 40 mpg highway
- 199 hp

Toyota Prius Hybrid
- MSRP $24,200 (even the most expensive model is $30,005, so cheaper than the base Sonata)
- 51 city mpg / 48 mpg highway
- 134 hp

Now this is not a complete picture of both of these vehicles, but just based on this info I can't understand why the Sonata is costing much more and seemingly delivering much less. Although I will say that I think the Sonata looks nicer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Is that really the biggest difference between the two? Does the Prius have more features, or maybe is it considered higher end or something?
The Prius is pretty much a stripped down Hybrid for people who want to feel really good about themselves and let everyone know about it. The Sonata competes with mid-size cars, its not a fullsize as stated above, vehicles like the Fusion Hybrid.

Oh and the Fusion Hybrid starts at ~$27,000, net power output on the Fusion H is 188 hp. MPG wise it will go 47/47/47, thats city/hwy/combined..

Eff the Prius, it has no soul..

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think no matter what the Sonata will win the battle, what do you expect on a sonata forum lol.

But in all seriousness, The Sonata might not have a better fuel economy but the Prius doesnt have the same amount of space and options.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think no matter what the Sonata will win the battle, what do you expect on a sonata forum lol.

But in all seriousness, The Sonata might not have a better fuel economy but the Prius doesnt have the same amount of space and options.
just because you're on a sonata forum doesn't mean you need to be myopic... I feel most of Hyundais consumers are informed individuals who make intelligent purchase decisions. The reason i say that is becasue Hyundai is a brand with very little brand cachet like a Ford or Toyota and I view the main reason people switch to Hyundai is becasue they do their research and identify with Hyundais value proposition.

I had no idea Hyundai was developing its own fanboys now. Besides, I've heard Hyundai is getting out of the Hybrid/EV craze...

·
Registered
222 Posts
The Prius is pretty much a stripped down Hybrid for people who want to feel really good about themselves and let everyone know about it. The Sonata competes with mid-size cars, its not a fullsize as stated above, vehicles like the Fusion Hybrid.

Oh and the Fusion Hybrid starts at ~$27,000, net power output on the Fusion H is 188 hp. MPG wise it will go 47/47/47, thats city/hwy/combined..

Eff the Prius, it has no soul..
The Prius is a very basic car. It's the Toyota Corolla of the hybrids.

Doesn't get any more basic.

·
Registered
52 Posts
just because you're on a sonata forum doesn't mean you need to be myopic... I feel most of Hyundais consumers are informed individuals who make intelligent purchase decisions. The reason i say that is becasue Hyundai is a brand with very little brand cachet like a Ford or Toyota and I view the main reason people switch to Hyundai is becasue they do their research and identify with Hyundais value proposition.

I had no idea Hyundai was developing its own fanboys now. Besides, I've heard Hyundai is getting out of the Hybrid/EV craze...
Why would Hyundai exit from the EV/Hybrid market just when everone else is getting into it? It seems pretty obvious that that is the direction that the auto industry is going in. And Hyundai already has vehicles that are competing while some other companies are just getting started now (VW.) Where have you heard that Hyundai is getting out of the EV/Hybrid game?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ever since the sixth generation of all the Hyundai line ups many has chanegd the way they look at them. With more unique and up to date styling it did draw a crowd. To me it just similar to what Honda was going through at the early stages in the 90's.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Why would Hyundai exit from the EV/Hybrid market just when everone else is getting into it? It seems pretty obvious that that is the direction that the auto industry is going in. And Hyundai already has vehicles that are competing while some other companies are just getting started now (VW.) Where have you heard that Hyundai is getting out of the EV/Hybrid game?
becasue it's not profitable. Hyundai is getting out becasue they experienced it, realized it wasnt for them and is getting out. I dont care what the other manufacturers are doing, they all have to explore the technology and make a decision.

Pretty much every manufacturer right now is exploring, Hybrid, EV and fuel cell technologies. No one knows what will blow up big, but Hyundai knows Hybrids are not profitable to them right now.

FIAT loses ~$10k on every 500e it sells. Chevrolet produces the Volt for $80,000 and sells it for $40,000. What kind of a profitable business have you ever seen that loses money on every transaction?

From this Autoblog article
Up until now, the Korean automaker has been attempting to meet future regulations with fuel-cell vehicles like the modified ix35/Tuscon models (the technology uses hydrogen to generate electricity)
Funny enough the article is about an american EV Hyundai is being mandated to build by American ZEV laws. Just look up the CEO John Krafcik, hes really intelligent and in tune with the auto industry. You should read some of the pieces where he talks about CAFE loop holes. Hyundai really wants to do this as a rebel..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Part of the reason why these companies are building EVS and then selling them at a loss is because they are trying to carve out market share in anticipation of when the cost of producing EVs goes down dramatically, which will happen pretty quick. If you wait till it is profitable to start building EVs, you will be behind because everyone else's vehicles are established and have market share.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feel most of Hyundais consumers are informed individuals who make intelligent purchase decisions. The reason i say that is becasue Hyundai is a brand with very little brand cachet like a Ford or Toyota and I view the main reason people switch to Hyundai is becasue they do their research and identify with Hyundais value proposition.
After just having bought the 2013 Hybrid Limited after researching (well, my wife did) for hours and hours, I agree with this statement. :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Part of the reason why these companies are building EVS and then selling them at a loss is because they are trying to carve out market share in anticipation of when the cost of producing EVs goes down dramatically, which will happen pretty quick. If you wait till it is profitable to start building EVs, you will be behind because everyone else's vehicles are established and have market share.
no body produces at a loss in hopes of future market share, thats bad business and CEOs would be hung for those decisions. This is about CAFE standards, zero emission vehicles offset high emission vehicles and make it much easier for a maker to fit under the CAFE ceiling.

The most dilligent proponent of EV/Hybrid is tech is GM. Look at their lineup if you want to know why, 2 lines of fullsize pickup trucks, 3 lines of fullsize SUVs, Corvette, Camaro, SS sedan. Those all earn the Gas Guzzler tax and would skew the rest of the averagely efficient lineup up over the CAFE hard deck. Spark EV, Volt and ELR give those high burners an offset. Why do you think the Sonata is the only Hybrid In Hyundais lineup? They only make one model with a V8, the genesis and it lost 2 of them for a standard V6, with the 5.0 v8 only available in the R-spec now. With a fuel efficient lineup well under the CAFE hard deck Hyundai doesnt need hybrids, they become an additional expense that any healthy business will avoid like the plague.

Markshare can always be gained, if your product is good enough, sunk costs never come back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Aside from politics and all that. I just want to add my 2 cents here. Wife also did a lot of research on the the car herself. This is in regards to the earlier comment about Hyundai owners and research. But maybe the factor in this is we are not 20-somethings. Were both professionals with degrees. We wanted to get a "grown up" car rather then a car you'd have in high school or even college. I'd be interested in seeing if that is a factor with everyone else.

Also, I am a pretty tall person. My parents have a Prius and I just was not comfortable in it. I've drive it for a few hundred miles and just was not able to feel comfortable in it. Plus like the others have said here, it's just lacking in some things. The interior / features of a Prius just don't equal that of a Sonata. I feel like I got a luxury car compared to my parents Prius. I would say that it is worth the price and even the slight difference in gas mileage. Just curious and because I have not done the research but doesn't the Hyundai brand have a better warranty all around then Toyota? I know at least the batteries are lifetime for the original owner and Toyota does not offer that. Little things do add up. I would also take in to consideration safety features as well but hey again I don't know what Toyota's rating is.

To me this like comparing frozen lasagna to scratch made. Sure the frozen one is cheaper, but scratch just taste better.

Oh also after all our rebates and getting the car through USAA. The price of our Sonata car was less the 25K. That is before tax and license and registration fees as well as the little add ons like extended warranty and 5 year no maintenance plan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The question has no merit. The base Sonata Hybrid is not $30,000. I just bought one last night. It was $26,655 thats with the delivery charge and carpeted floor mats. That was before the almost $7000 in rebates and incentives. So it sounds like you are comparing a base compact Hybrid price to a top of the range mid size Hybrid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you think a company is actually selling cars at a loss. Your are mistaken. Yes there are some cars that are sold to consumers at a price that is less than the cost to make the car. However in the case of electric and hybrid cars they are subsidized by the government. You must also take into account that in the US we have MPG restrictions. I'm sure i'm over simplifying but manufactures have to meet certain MPG averages across product lines. So manufactures make really high MPG cars that sale in limited numbers at a loss so that they can continue to sale there lower MPG cars to make up and make more then they lost its just a different form of subsidizing. Then you have cars like the Bugatti Veyron which is sold at a "loss" however when you build something like the Veyron it is subsidized by the amount of attention and free advertising not to mention the technology that trickles down to other models, and then there is Licencing agreements and things of that nature. So when all is said and done and the smoke and mirrors are gone the company still makes money on each car one way or another.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.