Sonata Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently considering buying a hybrid vehicle and I was just wondering if anyone here owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid and can tell me what sets it apart from the competition. I'm considering the Prius, since I've heard nothing but good things regarding its practicality and fuel efficiency, however I used to own a Hyundai and I would be open to its hybrid options if they're comparable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you're seriously considering a hybrid you should know the Prius is outdated technology that was easily blown out of the water when Ford's C-Max Energi Hybrid stepped on the scene. I think the C-Max Energi is going for $36,999, which is more than $10K than the Prius ($26,100). The Hyundai Sonata is a much more reasonable $27,999, and that's without the $4,000 factory discount (plus you can combine the discount with 3.19 per cent financing for 84 months).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya but what are the actual differences between the Prius and Sonata Hybrid? How do they compare?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Equipped with continuously variable transmission and front-wheel drive, the 2013 Toyota Prius has a 1.8-litre four-cylinder engine with electric motor and nickel metal hydride battery pack with an output of 134 (hybrid net horsepower). Fuel economy (litres/100 km) is about 3.7 in the city and 4.0 on the highway. Wheelbase is 2700 mm, Length is 4480 mm, Width 1745 mm and Height 1490 mm. Curb weight of the Prius is about 1380 kg. Cost: $26,100

The 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid features a six-speed automatic transmission and FWD. The engine is a 2.4-litre four-cylinder with electric motor and lithium ion battery pack for an output of 199 hp. The Sonata gets 5.4 in the city and 4.9 on the highway. It weights about 200 kg more than the Prius (1591 kg) and is 1465 mm tall, 1835 mm wide and 4820 mm long. Wheelbase is 2795 mm. Cost: $27,999

So you're basically getting more horsepower for less fuel economy and more money. I personally find the 2013 Hyundai Sonata hybrid much more modern and glamorous than the Prius though, that thing seems ancient at this point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You might want to consider the 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE as well. It's only 2 grand more than the 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid and it offers more horsepower and a greater fuel capacity at the cost of fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really like the look of the Fusion, but I can't bring myself to pay more for horsepower when I'm buying a hybrid. Fuel efficiency is the name of the game for me and so far the Prius seems to have the best offer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
UTP, in case you want some of the Fusion's specs:

The 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE has a 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine with electric motor and lithium ion battery pack for an output of 188 hybrid net horsepower. The Fusion is also FWD with a CVT transmission, getting 4.0 litres/100 km in the city and 4.1 on the highway.
Wheelbase: 2849 mm
Length: 4872 mm
Width: 1852 mm
Height: 1473 mm
Weight: 1640 kg

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been driving a 2013 hybrid as a loaner for a week while the dealer doesn't repair my conventional drive 2012. Pretty nice car and getting 40 mpg. I did notice that the batteries location has cut the trunk size about in half.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts