Sonata Forums banner

Hyundai Sonata makes Consumer Reports top 10 most popular new and used cars list

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Hyundai_PWR 
#1 ·
Things just keep getting better and better for Hyundai!
The Sonata and other Hyundai Vehicles have really improved over the years, I wonder how the next generation Sonata will improve...

2011 top 10 most popular new and used cars on Consumer Reports

As the end of 2011 draws near, we decided to take a look and see which new and used vehicles were most popular on ConsumerReports.org for the year. Every day potential buyers seek our independent test scores and reliability ratings to aid their research and help determine the best vehicle to buy for their needs. While we maintain a list of the most popular searches of the month on the main Cars landing page, it is time to reflect on the year in review. For this, we looked at visits to our model overview pages to compile a list of the top 10 most popular new and used cars.

So, what are car buyers looking for? SUVs continue to be popular in both new and used categories, despite elevated gasoline prices. Even still, a general theme seems to be fuel economy in class, as well as favoring reliability and test performance—all virtues we support.

Hyundai has made significant advances with some of its latest products, and we see a couple models rightfully made the cut. Ford is the only domestic brand to make the lists, with a model on each. For used cars, Honda and Toyota models of all sizes are very popular, likely buoyed by a reputation for reliability.

Popularity doesn’t automatically translate to quality, as the Top 40 music charts regularly prove. However, the models that stood out on ConsumerReports.org this past year are vehicles that have performed favorably in our tests and shined in our reliability survey.

Learn more about these top 10 new and used cars by clicking the names below.

Most popular new cars for 2011

Hyundai Elantra
Subaru Forester
Honda CR-V
Ford Fusion hybrid
Toyota Highlander V6
Toyota RAV4 V6
Subaru Outback 2.5i
Hyundai Sonata
Toyota Prius
Acura MDX

Most popular used cars for 2011

Honda Civic
Honda Accord
Honda CR-V
Acura MDX
Honda Pilot
Subaru Forester
Toyota Camry
Toyota Highlander
Toyota RAV4
Ford Escape

Vehicle sales rebounded for many automakers in 2011, but Asian manufacturers were affected by the Japanese tsunami and earthquake in March and have just recently come back to full production. We’ll report on how the year went when year-end sales are announced on Jan. 3rd.

Full pricing, road tests, and reliability data, along with comparison tools, are available to online subscribers. Also, see our free information and tips on buying a new or used car.

—Liza Barth

#2 ·
the Sonata made this list for 3 simple reasons, design, price, reliability. I haven't seen much elantra's where i live but i can see why it's popular since it's basically a smaller Sonata, and much cheaper.

These days people just want a cheap car that gets good gas mileage, reliable and looks decent enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.