Sonata Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone ever try to modify their Sonata by lifting the rear end by an inch or so?

If so, how did you do it? Is there a parts kit available? I scoured the internet and came up with nothing. Seems as if only a dork like me would want to do something like this - (Part of my mid-life crisis). I want to deck out the wheels and use fatter tires on the rear. Make it look like a modern muscle car. I think it would look rather cool with the twin exhaust 6 cylinder. Mine's a 2006 NF.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Never seen anyone do this aside from Lincoln Towncar Limo's and Taxi's with the rear end raised, but I believe they had air ride systems and adjusted them accordingly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
actually thats a great idea and not just for looks. It'll keep more weight over the front tires for better handles, as well as mitigate the weight transfer back, again keeping weight over the drive wheels for max traction. You could also consider lowering the front for a similar effect...

if you're a dork heres the science behind it ;) http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2014/01/the-physics-of-a-front-wheel-drive-muscle-car/

basically its just a mittenstringing explanation of how weight transfer hurts acceleration in a front wheel drive car...

Oh and welcome to the boards @Popster

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Good to have you on the forums. Welcome. Years and years ago it was popular to raise the rear end and put 50s on the rear. Now a days it's popular to lower the car all the way around. It's funny how trends change. I wish I had an answer for you in raising the rear. I know many used air shocks to raise the rear end in the past or springs. Best of luck to you and again, welcome!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can't tell if I would like this or not. I am holding out to see some pictures. It definitely sounds possible from what I hear. Are you planning to do it yourself, or do you mind taking it into a mechanic or shop?

What makes you want to make this mod to your Sonata?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mid-Life Crisis - What Else

Thanks for your reply. I always wanted a bit of a muscle car. No way could I afford any of the new Camaros, Mustangs, or Chargers - already have a hefty car payment - my wife drives our Kia Optima Hybrid. I had to sell me truck - California smog regs suck - anyways I took over her Sonata (which I bought for her previously). No way would I want to sell it. Hyundai's are reliable and with a bit of imagination - I think would make one **** of a modern muscle car. If I ever get around to doing it, I'll post photos here. What do you drive?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts