Sonata Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry if this was already covered, I did run a search for "ecm" & "pcm" and came back with no results... treid "Powertrain control module" and came back with a review of the car...

Any way I currently have a 2001 Sonata GLS 2.5 that will not start.
Checked for spark with a timing gun... no spark...

Had a friend come out who works at a mercedes dealership to help, he plugged in his computer and it would not connect to the pcm... He said that may be the problem (we checked all fuses under the hood and under the dash... I was REALLY hoping it was a stupid little fuse somewhere, haha).
Also checked for power to the Coil Package it has power... My friends advice was to have the coil pack tested first, I called every parts store within 50 miles and none can test it. (i figured a resistance test was what he was talking about, but apparently this isn't the test he meant).

also there is a black box and a silver box. From looking around I am guessing the black box is for the transmission and the silver is for the motor.

I guess what I am asking is if anyone has had similar problems and found a solution...

I did call the parts department at the dealership... the pcm is $900... So I hopped on Ebay and searched around and found them for right around $50.

At this point I was either going to have it towed to my regular mechanic or towed to the dealership for confirmation on the problem.... However; I thought I would hit the forum for any advice from those that know more than I.

I tried to list as much info as I could, if anything else is needed for assistance let me know and I will do my best to provide it.

Thank you in advance for any help!! and apologize if this was a covered issue or if I am posting in the wrong location.

Edit:
The timing belt was replace about 20k miles ago
new alternator....
Just trying to think of anything I have done do the car...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hows the battery? Check the ground. Does the engine even crank? The ecu is easy to switch out.

Link

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It cranks and I can hear the fuel pump gain pressure when turning the key... ground strap is good as well... would just have her towed to the dealer.... however I have a pregnant wife and we're getting ready to buy a house ... money is in high demand these days, haha...

any way ... everything looks as it should and I am not the type to start replacing parts and cross my fingers to hope it starts. I want to narrow down the problem and fix it. I already had a vehicle where we just started blindly replacing parts until it started.... that thing cost too much money and i'll junk a car before i blindly replace parts again.

Any way, thankyou for the quick reply!!

Edit:

The battery has plenty of juice and cranks strong, again all fuses are good and all electronics seem to work...

His diagnostic tool is good, he uses it every day at the dealership... just wouldn't communicate with my pcm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts