Sonata Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this will be my first post as I am new to the forum.

I bought a used Black 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS and I love it so far but there are some key features I wish it had.

First thing is a mirror with a compass. I am really looking to put something in. I am not so much of a DIY car guy (I would take on basic light change stuff but when it comes to wiring i'm out). So what are my options? Should I contact Hyundai to put it in? Should I buy it and go to a car shop? My goal is to make it look like it was meant to be there (ex. no sticking out wires).

Second thing, would I be able to put in a OEM navigation system into my GLS retaining steering wheel controls, etc. I looked at other options like UNAVI and Compass-Nav but seem to be too early in their businesses for my liking (ex. No list price? Come on - although their products look extremely good and the concept is what i'm looking for).

Any other suggestions would be helpful. I am not trying to make my car look super sporty but just more classy and spiced up. I changed the license plate lights and ordered bulbs for the inside. Then will do the HIDs at the front.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
check out youtube for some info. if you haven't already. you never know there might be some little nuggets of ideas in there. I just bought the se it has the factory nav and compass mirror. its not all fun.
example : to get the maps updated you'll be looking at about $200 - $300 . I bought my sonata with outdated maps and im going back and forth with dealership saying its their job to update it free of charge. it should've have been done for me before I left the dealership. some of the aftermarket navs are pretty good. and I believe some offer lifetime map updates. happy shopping

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Don't know why I didn't get a notify e-mail. I guess I will do some more research. Main goal is to keep steering wheel controls. I'll look around.

·
Registered
374 Posts
check out youtube for some info. if you haven't already. you never know there might be some little nuggets of ideas in there. I just bought the se it has the factory nav and compass mirror. its not all fun.
example : to get the maps updated you'll be looking at about $200 - $300 . I bought my sonata with outdated maps and im going back and forth with dealership saying its their job to update it free of charge. it should've have been done for me before I left the dealership. some of the aftermarket navs are pretty good. and I believe some offer lifetime map updates. happy shopping
I believe Garmin is one of those companies that gives free updates on their software, for aftermarket nav units that is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Not really interested in a nav thats not built in the dash. I usually use my phone for that stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts