Sonata Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock filter was WAY plugged up, and seeing as how winter is pretty much here, I went ahead and modded the stock unit using a Tiburon intake I've had sitting around for about 8 yrs.
I cut the stock box top to the contour of the filter and used a section of the new tube to adapt the stock intake hose to the filter. I plan to replace this portion of stock tube with something else when I have some more time.
The stock top section actually keeps the air from the front intake scoop from blowing past the tube towards the firewall. Tho the filter is exposed on the top there is still cold air getting to it and so far I'm pretty happy with how well it sucks. The sound is really something I like as well, still quite on the drive at hywy speeds but you can hear a nice mellow tune when you put your foot in it.
You are free to bash away on my hack job.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
good enough start :p

+1 for diy

·
Registered
80 Posts
gotta love diy :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything so far has been an improvement, it runs better,, it's got noticably more power, the engine it self sounds smoother but tonight on the way home, Shazam, the engine light came on.:confused:
I'm down to a 1/2 tank and I'm wondering if it's the gas cap trick again.
Other than that, I hope it's not something to do with the computer reading an incorrect air ratio signal.

Any thoughts as to if the dealer would aggree to reprogram the ECU for a tube style intake??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Part II and III of the final install.

Ended up going for the total over haul of the intake tube. Just couldn't stand looking at that accordian and baffle box anymore. So, after removing the stock system and looking things over, I decided the best route to keep the elbow with the vent tube at the stock box location was to cut out the section I wanted to replace and use a section of the old Tiburon CAI kit I had laying around. (I'm sure you could have an exhaust shop bend the correct size tube to length and angle) For cutting duties I used a 4" angle grinder and some careful hand work. I did remove the vent hose from the stock tube and liquid welded it over a hole I drilled into the side of the tube for a stock fit.

The link shows the rest of the pics.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/222-y...-diy-cold-air-intake-part-ii-smooth-flow.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's the size of your air filter? 3"? and did you use a t-clamp to fix it? I'm thinking of doing the same on my 2.0t.
It is a 3" filter. I just used standard hose clamps since the system at the intake doesn't see much presure. plus I check things a lot.
I did happen to find a new top so that I can run the K&N drop in filter during the winter (or when I take it in for service work)

I'm thinking relocating the battery to where the airbox is now in spring and making a shorter tube that comes from an enclosed box drawing air from where the fog light is on the drivers side. That way ALL the air is kept away from the engine (as much as possible anyway) and has a smoother entry into the TB. Not that is worth all that much, but it's something different and I do it cuz I can.:D

·
Registered
374 Posts
cool DIY on the air intake. have you tried to use some sheets of plastic to form a pathway for air to flow right to the filter? I've seen a few guys do this and they said it helps a lot since the filter is getting direct air rather than sucking any air around it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll have something in the works this spring. Plans are to place the battery back almost in the same spot as the air box position now, then change up the stock box to sit near the front and to the drivers side. I'll plumb in a smooth vent tube that sucks air from the fog light pocket into the bottom of the box.
Might have to make my own box for a cone style filter but it'll be in a better location.
Not that it's going to be night and day performance by any means, but, I think there's room to improve the intake layout.

cool DIY on the air intake. have you tried to use some sheets of plastic to form a pathway for air to flow right to the filter? I've seen a few guys do this and they said it helps a lot since the filter is getting direct air rather than sucking any air around it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts