Sonata Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened to my 2012 Sonata SE last Sunday when a pickup truck pulled out in front of me! A new Sonata SE is on the horizon!

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ouch!

Wow, that is one heck of an ouch! :( I hope no one was hurt. Who or what hit the passenger side of the windshield? :eek:

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that is one heck of an ouch! :( I hope no one was hurt. Who or what hit the passenger side of the windshield? :eek:
I remember hitting the picup truck at 48 mph causing our air bags to deploy. We were pushed up and over a curb, then went down an embankment hitting the brick marque of a business where we came to rest.

Smoke filled the compartment from the air bags. At first I thought the car was on fire. I remember shouting to my wife to get out of the car. We were surrounded by several people who either stopped or who were working at the car wash. The police were there in about 30 seconds. They were directing traffic at a large church about a third of a mile up the road. I remember hearing a female's voice coming from Bluelink sayin, "We have detected your air bags have deployed, do you need an ambulance?" And then they proceeded to ask me how many people are in the car.

We were transported to the hospital were we had CAT scans, x-rays and a shot of morphine. all the test results were negative. We pulled many muscles and my poor wife has several black and blue marks from just below her neck down to her waist. These were caused by the seatbelt and the air bag. We were prescribed hydrocodone for our aches and pains and were sent home.. The windshield on the passenger side was smashed caused by the bag deploying.

We have lost a week of wages and have had to hire an attorney because I learned on Friday that the guy who caused the accident didn't have enough coverage to pay for the damages to his car, a new car for us, property damage, medical bills, rental car for a month, so on and so forth.

Needless to say it was very traumatic for the both of us. I spent 11 years in the military and have never been through anything that compared to this.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
holy crap...

hope both of you have a speedy recovery..

what are you thinking about getting next?
It will be another Sonata SE, maybe with a nav system? I may stick with white.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I remember hitting the picup truck at 48 mph causing our air bags to deploy. We were pushed up and over a curb, then went down an embankment hitting the brick marque of a business where we came to rest.

Smoke filled the compartment from the air bags. At first I thought the car was on fire. I remember shouting to my wife to get out of the car. We were surrounded by several people who either stopped or who were working at the car wash. The police were there in about 30 seconds. They were directing traffic at a large church about a third of a mile up the road. I remember hearing a female's voice coming from Bluelink sayin, "We have detected your air bags have deployed, do you need an ambulance?" And then they proceeded to ask me how many people are in the car.

We were transported to the hospital were we had CAT scans, x-rays and a shot of morphine. all the test results were negative. We pulled many muscles and my poor wife has several black and blue marks from just below her neck down to her waist. These were caused by the seatbelt and the air bag. We were prescribed hydrocodone for our aches and pains and were sent home.. The windshield on the passenger side was smashed caused by the bag deploying.

We have lost a week of wages and have had to hire an attorney because I learned on Friday that the guy who caused the accident didn't have enough coverage to pay for the damages to his car, a new car for us, property damage, medical bills, rental car for a month, so on and so forth.

Needless to say it was very traumatic for the both of us. I spent 11 years in the military and have never been through anything that compared to this.
Wow sorry to hear this happened to you, no one deserves to go through this especially when they're not at fault. Hopefully all works out for you. Keep us posted on this situation and your new Sonata.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What did you do in the military that you never saw something worse than a car accident?

Does sound like a not very pleasant incident though. All in all there was no serious injuries and the air bags and everything worked the way they were supposed to. I am glad to hear that the Sonata was a safe vehicle in a crash, though it would be better to not have gotten into an accident at all.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What did you do in the military that you never saw something worse than a car accident?

Does sound like a not very pleasant incident though. All in all there was no serious injuries and the air bags and everything worked the way they were supposed to. I am glad to hear that the Sonata was a safe vehicle in a crash, though it would be better to not have gotten into an accident at all.
I was in the Coast Guard and I was actually referring to the sudden impact when I collided with the truck. Now I could talk about the various hurricanes I have been in and the 50' seas I was in when stationed on board my last ship which was a 180 footer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
yea full impact at 48 per is pretty serious, thats quite near highway speeds. especially when you smack a large slow moving object...

keep it safe out there y'all

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They finally totaled the car today... I mean... REALLY?! Was there any question? :confused:

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow torch! I guess I missed this post! Very unfortunate and I am glad you and your wife are okay!! For the most part anyway!

Hope everything works out in the end with the final outcome!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks man! I took my wife back to the doctor's office yesterday. I woke up to her crying from pain. When my wife cries, I want to make those who caused her to cry too. :mad: When she came to bed, when she layed down, she felt a pop with excruciating pain. The doctor said apparently a rib probably popped back in place. OUCH! :eek: She is doing much better today... The doctors increased the strength of her hydrocodone. We are ready to get over this and move on!

·
Registered
374 Posts
They finally totaled the car today... I mean... REALLY?! Was there any question? :confused:
As obvious as it is to us it's totaled they do have to do their job, sucks that it can't be any faster, but they do have to look at the details to see what it will really cost them to get it back on the road.

·
Registered
99 Posts
some insurance companies have accident forgiveness or whatever it is, and will give you a new model year car if yours is ruined from an accident... Sounds like OP may have something similar, but Torch did say they were lawyering up!

Good luck, hopefully the Second Sonata treats you just a bit better than this one..

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone! I requested my insurance company to assign an adjuster as well. I heard from mine, but never from the Allstate adjuster. I'm comforted to know that I hired an attorney. As of yesterday they can't find the guy who caused the accident. He is not answering or returning phone calls from his own insurance company or my attorney. They found a "realistic looking" toy pistol in the car according to the state police officer who investigated the accident. My attorney said they were going to do a criminal check on the guy. The plot thickens as each day passes.

Also my car has sat at the location it was towed to for a week and a half and they just totaled it yesterday. Each day it sits, there is a 30.00 storage fee. I just want to get this over with. :/

·
Registered
222 Posts
that really sucks.

hopefully you can just get your money so you can go car shopping again soon.

keep us updated.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks everyone! I requested my insurance company to assign an adjuster as well. I heard from mine, but never from the Allstate adjuster. I'm comforted to know that I hired an attorney. As of yesterday they can't find the guy who caused the accident. He is not answering or returning phone calls from his own insurance company or my attorney. They found a "realistic looking" toy pistol in the car according to the state police officer who investigated the accident. My attorney said they were going to do a criminal check on the guy. The plot thickens as each day passes.

Also my car has sat at the location it was towed to for a week and a half and they just totaled it yesterday. Each day it sits, there is a 30.00 storage fee. I just want to get this over with. :/
That's crazy, running away from problems never accomplishes anything unless he ran away to Mexico. I bet it's just a matter of time till he shows up or a warrant for his arrest is issued.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's crazy, running away from problems never accomplishes anything unless he ran away to Mexico. I bet it's just a matter of time till he shows up or a warrant for his arrest is issued.
You can run, but you can't hide! They will get him eventually. The good thing is we have his insurance information!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks man! I took my wife back to the doctor's office yesterday. I woke up to her crying from pain. When my wife cries, I want to make those who caused her to cry too. :mad: When she came to bed, when she layed down, she felt a pop with excruciating pain. The doctor said apparently a rib probably popped back in place. OUCH! :eek: She is doing much better today... The doctors increased the strength of her hydrocodone. We are ready to get over this and move on!
Yeah, you don't mess with the wife and/or kids!! That is for certain!

I bet this is a huge pain in the butt having to deal with this Crap! Especially this time of year!

Hopefully everything works out soon and you two heal quickly from this whole thing!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
109 Posts
all i can say is wow, **** and glad that you and your wife are alive. the pains will heal and you'll get a new car and that is all that matters. it truly sucks that there are assholes in this world who do not give a **** about others and only themselves and that this guy seems to have disapeared...good thing you have his insurance info b/c his company in the end will be the ones paying for ALL and ANY of your bills that you've received/be receiving, and then his insurance company will take him to court because you know **** well he's gonna have to pay something!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts