Sonata Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2012 Sonata Limited 2.0T, acquired a year ago February. Since buying the car, I haven't used the GPS function that often, but when I do, I've noticed that the directions given are incorrect much of the time. For instance, I asked the GPS to give me directions to Gainesville, FL from my home in Deltona, FL. Although Gainesville is generally due North, the GPS insisted the best route was to drive 15 miles South to drive 120 miles North. MapQuest and my old Garmin Nuvi showed a route totaling 103 miles. Another time when I wanted to go to a local flooring dealer, it had me driving 6 miles out of the way. Looking for restaurants and fast food joints was hit or miss. Sometimes, the locations were spot on, but in too many instances, the location given was either a vacant lot or an older office building. The dealer told me to contact Hyundai for a fix. Hyundai referred me to their update center. Imagine my surprise to find that the fix would require the latest update, which came out 7 months after I bought the car, costing $200 and there was no guarantee the problem would be fixed . Wait a minute, I pay a bunch of bucks for the Navigation system and have to pay $200 to have a factory deficiency corrected? HELP!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
i find in my 2013 the gps avoids toll roads like the plague even tho in the settings its not set to avoid them . i did get me where i want to go I just would of rather tsken the toll road insted of ending up on collectors and the QEW

·
Registered
6 Posts
paying a little more than $200 can buy a new head unit with GPS at happyshoppinglife.if you pay to fix, it waste money .this is my point

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2012 with the nav unit. Overall I like it. You should be able to select different routes. I like the feature that allows me to easily select an alternate route or to bypass a certain road. I also have a 2010 Highlander with nav. The Sonata's nav is so much easier to use. AND,,the best feature is that I can make nav adjustments while moving in the sonata, not so with Toyota. That single feature is the reason I chose the sonata over the camry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a warning for those who have Sonata 2011 and choose to update the nav system. My dealer sent an e-mail where I could update the nav system for $99. My nav system had started to have some issues like not being as bright for reading, and the back-up camera was flipping when in use. We cleared the back-up camera problem by fixing a loose wire but not the dimness problem. I took the car back to the dealer to see if they could fix the dimness problem w/o getting a whole new nav system. The answer was "no." We also got the update for the nav system. It turns out the update changed the map display and some of the operations on the touch pad. The screen in the 2011 Sonata is not as big as the new Sonatas. The update changed the screen to make it a dual screen or split screen when you get ready to turn. This would be fine for the newer Sonatas with the larger screens, but on the smaller screen you can not even read the streets, and it is very confusing. The dealer did not tell us the mapping system would be changed to this. When we brought it back and asked to have old system re-installed, they called the Hyundai experts and were told it could not be re-installed. Since my car was the first they had installed the update, they did not know the smaller screen is not compatible with the update. Now I'm out the $99 and have a piece of crap of a nav system. Please be sure if you decide to update, that the update will be compatible with your Sonata and that the dealer explains exactly what the change will be. Newer is not necessarily better. We also did not get any instruction on how to use the newer screen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 Sonata Limited with their GPS Nav system and recently it went totally out. The Nav system, back up camera, phone, voice activation, CD player all went at the same time. My dealer says it is a short in the screen and that a new replacement is approximately $3800 USD. A rebuilt system is only $2600 USD. Checking into an aftermarket Pioneer system, which requires replacement of the GPS cables, voice cables adding a converter for the GPS systems and all the new dashboard trims is approximately $1600 USD. THESE ARE NOT CHEAP OPTIONS.

The Hyundai system was working fine until backing out of the drive, with the camera working, and then putting the car into drive......the it went totally out.

Has anyone had similar issues and if so how was it resolved?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts