Sonata Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just picked me up a new-to-me Sonata GLS. Replaced my aging 01 BMW 330i Sport. I literally just drove it home from the dealership so haven't had a chance to play with a lot of things. Got the phone synced up... and that was about it. Looking forward to using this forum and hope to get the same kind of in-depth knowledge I was used to from BMW forums.

I do have a couple up-front questions:
1. If I get a new remote/fob, is there a special sync sequence to link it to my car, or is this a dealer-only thing?

2. They are looking for an owner's manual for me since mine was missing, but are the voice commands ONLY for calls via the phone, or can I use it to tell it to do things like "Tune FM 93.3" etc?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the forums! What year is your Sonata? Also, programming of the fob is a dealer thing to the best of recollection. Take care and again, it's good to have you with us!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops, it's a 2013. I was able to find an online manual and answer #2. Short answer: it can do much more than voice commands.

Only reason for asking #1 is one of the fobs they gave me is really beat up, and didn't notice it until I got home. I may take it to them and ask for a replacement if possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
from a 01 bmw 330 sport to a sonata, seems like a big step down in performance, though I guess that also depends on which engine your 2013 has in it.

My brother had a 02 330Ci that inline 6 was nice. And RWD very nice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a huge drop in performance. My Sonata only has the 2.4 I4. However, as I'm aging, I really didn't feel the need to have the performance anymore. Besides, when Eco mode is off, it is still zippy enough if I am merging onto the interstate. So take out the performance, other than not having leather seats, I feel this 12 year newer Sonata is a much better car.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
It is a huge drop in performance. My Sonata only has the 2.4 I4. However, as I'm aging, I really didn't feel the need to have the performance anymore. Besides, when Eco mode is off, it is still zippy enough if I am merging onto the interstate. So take out the performance, other than not having leather seats, I feel this 12 year newer Sonata is a much better car.
Understand the aging thing completely, especially since I'm approaching 60 at a rapid rate. I would like to put an Injen Short Ram Intake in my 2013 Sonata SE Turbo though. I want to do modifications to the car that will not be a hassle the older I get. However, I do enjoy a bit of extra HP and speed. My generation is from the old true muscle car days. Many years ago I had a 1969 Ford Fairlane Fastback with a 486 Cobra Jet engine that had 650 hp, but it only got 7 miles to the gallon. In those days that didn't matter since I paid .33 per gallon for Sonoco 101 fuel. It would do high 9's on a quarter mile track and had all kinds of goodies on her. The older I get, I guess it just doesn't matter how fast I can go, but getting there safely. Ha!

Reactions: 09 Sonata GLS

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
welcome aboard! whats it like driving in Saint Petersberg? As bad as the stereo types and dash cams say??
I assume you think I am in Saint Petersburg, Russia? Saint Petersburg, FL is where I am at, and it's not bad driving here at all, however I spend most of my time across the bay in the Tampa area.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I assume you think I am in Saint Petersburg, Russia? Saint Petersburg, FL is where I am at, and it's not bad driving here at all, however I spend most of my time across the bay in the Tampa area.
No i was talking about all the retirees LOLLLL

kidding, had a brain fart ya know...

Whats it like living in FL? I've been down for vacay a few times but I could never see myself being permanent down there..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Understand the aging thing completely, especially since I'm approaching 60 at a rapid rate. I would like to put an Injen Short Ram Intake in my 2013 Sonata SE Turbo though. I want to do modifications to the car that will not be a hassle the older I get. However, I do enjoy a bit of extra HP and speed. My generation is from the old true muscle car days. Many years ago I had a 1969 Ford Fairlane Fastback with a 486 Cobra Jet engine that had 650 hp, but it only got 7 miles to the gallon. In those days that didn't matter since I paid .33 per gallon for Sonoco 101 fuel. It would do high 9's on a quarter mile track and had all kinds of goodies on her. The older I get, I guess it just doesn't matter how fast I can go, but getting there safely. Ha!
I say "aging", but I am only 33. However, since I've been legally able to drive, I've spent all my time as well wrenching on cars for speed. Once I got into BMWs, there was really no need for the performance mods as I was quite happy with their stock performance, so I only did minor cosmetic changes.

I was simply getting sick of maintenance in general, not just on the BMW. I've never had a car this new and wanted something I knew would be pretty reliable, for a long time, AND has a warranty. I spent two weeks looking at a handful of SUVs, but then switched to sedans and landed on either the newer Ford Fusion, Altima, Dart, and Sonata. 2013 Fusions in the SEL package were just a little over the price I was willing to go to, the Altimas in my range all came with crappy wheels (actually, they all only had steel rims with hub caps), and the Dart, while stylish, was just too small. I landed on this Sonata as it was a CPO, only 20k miles, and stickered under $16k. That, with the warranty, is what sold me. Plus I likes the color combo. A few images attached for fun. Thanks for the welcome guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No i was talking about all the retirees LOLLLL

kidding, had a brain fart ya know...

Whats it like living in FL? I've been down for vacay a few times but I could never see myself being permanent down there..
Ah yes, luckily the Tampa Bay area is not too heavily populated with the snow bird crowd or retirement crowd. Those areas would be either Naples FL which is a bit further south, or an area called The Villages, which terrifies me. The snow birds can congregate around our beaches during the summer days, but it is still tolerable. The spring break crowds at the beaches are actually worse. But most retirees around here do not seem to have the need to drive out. Most of the retiree areas have enough right there within their communities to keep them planted.

Living here since 1987, I can't really complain, other than the heat in the summers. Traffic right now though along the I-275 corridor from basically the bay northward all the way through Tampa-proper is an absolute nightmare, and has been for the last several years. But the last segment of major highway construction is close to being finished, which should dramatically improve that. It's only a short couple miles of Interstate, but it really is a major traffic point for just about all areas of the bay area that converges to that short span every day.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I say "aging", but I am only 33. However, since I've been legally able to drive, I've spent all my time as well wrenching on cars for speed. Once I got into BMWs, there was really no need for the performance mods as I was quite happy with their stock performance, so I only did minor cosmetic changes....
Oh, LOL... you are a young guy. I have been "wrenching on cars" since 1972. :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am over in Jacksonville Fl, been to st. pete/tampa a few times I have only been living here since 2010 but I sure do like it.

Oh an Torch I love those old muscle cars though you been wrenching longer then I have been alive, just barely but still. lmao

1 - 14 of 14 Posts