Sonata Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Why, do you want it to do worse :D LOL

not sure what model sonata you bought or how you drive but fuel econ will fluctuate dearly based on driver input. I can turn even the most fuel efficient Prius into a 10 mpg-er if i want to, just flog its bones out :D

If i might ask what did you come to the Sonata from? A similar midsize, something bigger, maybe a truck?

·
Registered
42 Posts
You need to let yourself enjoy the fuel efficiency. Don't question it, just embrace it!

The Sonata has awesome fuel efficiency. It is one of the appeals of the car. Were you expecting worse?

·
Registered
374 Posts
You need to let yourself enjoy the fuel efficiency. Don't question it, just embrace it!

The Sonata has awesome fuel efficiency. It is one of the appeals of the car. Were you expecting worse?
it really does, enough that someone like myself coming from a V8 can still hammer the Sonata, have a ton of fun in the process, and in the end still get awesome MPG. I think i will be forever pedal happy in the Sonata Lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Why, do you want it to do worse :D LOL

not sure what model sonata you bought or how you drive but fuel econ will fluctuate dearly based on driver input. I can turn even the most fuel efficient Prius into a 10 mpg-er if i want to, just flog its bones out :D

If i might ask what did you come to the Sonata from? A similar midsize, something bigger, maybe a truck?
My previous Truck for the last 18-year is the 1993 Ford Ranger SVO. I bought it in 1995 when it had only 16,000 miles. A turbocharged 2.3 (a Merkur XR4Ti motor) that has been super reliable, but its 20 years old and has 210,000 miles. The Ranger is very well tuned and actually gets 30 MPG.

The Sonata now sits in the Ranger SVO position

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just wanted to add to you New Car excitement. We just got a New Hybrid ourselves and have been driving it for about a month and a few days. Were getting about 40.0 MPG. Sonny is right about floggin the **** out of it too. I wanted to see how bad a MPG I could generate just for giggles and was down in the teens. Granted it took some doing but yeah really based on how you drive it.

We have found what we would say is kind of a cheat/exploit? to increase the MPG and we are still working it out to see if it makes a difference or not but it is promising. Also why we are sitting in the 40-44 mpg range, and it's not resetting the computer every moment you get. We only reset it after each fill-up. We'll post it up when we feel confident in our results.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I behave when I drive, the cruise is set at 65MPH and 90% of my driving is on the Highway. The AC is being used, its been 92 to 94 degrees. I have not reset anything. I will when I fill the gas tank tomorrow.

Today's Reading

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's great to see that the mpg that people are recording in their every day driving are matching those put out by Hyundai. The fuel economy of the 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid on fueleconomy.gov says that it is 38 combined. So you guys are sitting just barely under that.

Lots of other cars end up having far worse fuel economy than what is advertised, but I usually blame poor driving habits for that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts