Sonata Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been interesting watching Hyundai grow up. when they implemented their new design philosophy they term Fluidic Sculpture a few years back they launched an all out assault on most if not all market segments they play in. But now as Fluidic Sculpture ages and competitors have either become all new or sort of new its time for Hyundai to reshuffle the deck chairs.

We have already seen the new direction of Hyundais design language in 2013 with the initial debut of the 2015 Hyundai Genesis. Hyundais new language has been pared down based on concerns from their home market of Korea that the vehicles were too blatant. Its not a complete departure as elements of Fluidic Sculpture are still evident albeit with lines that are more precise and refined.

So the redesigned Sonata has now been captured out and about, guess what it applies many of the design features of the 2015 Genesis. The sloping roof line remains but you can tell through the camo that the new Sonata has much more rigid and level belt line than the outgoing. Also notice the grill has lost most if not all of its rake, but it does differ from the Genesis by not being as pronounced and snout like. Mechanicals should be identical to the outgoing but there is potential for us to see their 1.6T that debuted in the Veloster Turbo...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Seen it in person and it's amazing, Hyundai really stepped it up. Just when I though the Equus was nice, this just topped it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The front of the car has become much less slanted. It has more of a corner where the hood turns into the grille. And I think that will be a good move for Hyundai. They just have to make sure that their cars don't start looking boring.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The grille and body shape is a lot similar to that of the latest models for the Nissan Maxima and the Ford Fusion. I like the unique shape and fin design of the current Sonata much more.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The grille and body shape is a lot similar to that of the latest models for the Nissan Maxima and the Ford Fusion. I like the unique shape and fin design of the current Sonata much more.
Seems like Hyundai wants to keep their proportions in line with it's competition. Good to see they're doing that and they seem to be applying some next generation genesis sedan design language too. Can't wait to see it in full.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
It's a good looking car, however I prefer the looks of my 2013 Sonata. What drew me to it are the lines . I prefer a car that does't look like it came from a cookie cutter. I want people to see my car and not get it confused with a Ford or whatever. They see my car now and know it's a Sonata.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The New 2015 Sonata....Not a fan

I am not a fan of the new 2015 Sonata. My personal take is that they have taken away every part of the design that made this car unique in looks. The interior looks like every other bland looking Nissan. There is no style or substance. They took away the lines of the car that made this thing look like it was moving while it was standing still. Its just a run of the mill car now. When it is time to get another vehicle I guess its back to a truck. What a disappointment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts