Sonata Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hyundai has decided that it will design a more conservative Sonata when the next Sonata comes out in 2015 or 2016 in the US. The reason for this decision is the Hyundai wants to appeal more to its customer base in its home country, South Korea.

A former Kia designer told Reuters that the Sonata and the Genesis will both sport a "more moderated version of its design language." The move will likely be divisive with some people liking the moderate looks and others thinking that the new design is weak.

The Sonata did not do as well in South Korea as it did in America. More competition and a dislike for the trendier looks of the Sonata hurt the Sonata in Korea. This is the inevitable result of free-trade agreements and increased competition.

An unnamed source said that the new Sonata looks "like a car from the '80s or the early '90s." You excited yet?

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I personally like the looks of the current Sonata myself. Possibly a difference in culture? I know that most Asians have a tendency to be more conservative.

·
Registered
374 Posts
the next hyundai genesis is looking amazing already, knowing that this is part of a new brand-wide design language, expect the Sonata to have some of the design cues seen below:

·
Registered
99 Posts
what does free trade have to do with design...

Current vs 2015 Sonata

the grill is more upright, TBH I'd say the current Sonata looks more from the 90's than anything else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts