Sonata Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. New here. Would've done a new member introduction post but I wanted to get right to it.

So I have a 2018 Sonata SE with the 2.4 GDI engine. I drive a lot so I have just under 129,000 miles on it. The last 6 or months I've been dealing with oil consumption issues that started out of nowhere. I found out about the issues one day after dropping my son off at school. After going down the inclined driveway and seeing the engine oil light turn on then off, I checked the dipstick when I got home and it was dry. Since then I've been back and forth to the dealer probably twice a month. Since I am out of the warranty, the dealer had to approach Hyundai to see if they would cover the warranty work. They did since I only service my vehicle at the dealer. The dealers fix was to perform an ecm update. But It didnt seem to sole anything and we are back to square one with me coming back in 1,000 mile intervals every so often so they can check the oil level. The last check, which was about 2-3 weeks ago now, the engine was down almost 3 quarts in 1,700 miles. This is all on top of the cleaning pretty making my fuel economy worse. And since the update, there seems to be a hesitancy when I step on the gas initially at certain times. As if the car doesnt want to go along with a rattling noise that I assume is the GDI rattle? Maybe? If this keeps up, I'll be getting another car in the next few months.

Has anyone else had this trouble? If so what was the fix?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all. New here. Would've done a new member introduction post but I wanted to get right to it.

So I have a 2018 Sonata SE with the 2.4 GDI engine. I drive a lot so I have just under 129,000 miles on it. The last 6 or months I've been dealing with oil consumption issues that started out of nowhere. I found out about the issues one day after dropping my son off at school. After going down the inclined driveway and seeing the engine oil light turn on then off, I checked the dipstick when I got home and it was dry. Since then I've been back and forth to the dealer probably twice a month. Since I am out of the warranty, the dealer had to approach Hyundai to see if they would cover the warranty work. They did since I only service my vehicle at the dealer. The dealers fix was to perform an ecm update. But It didnt seem to sole anything and we are back to square one with me coming back in 1,000 mile intervals every so often so they can check the oil level. The last check, which was about 2-3 weeks ago now, the engine was down almost 3 quarts in 1,700 miles. This is all on top of the cleaning pretty making my fuel economy worse. And since the update, there seems to be a hesitancy when I step on the gas initially at certain times. As if the car doesnt want to go along with a rattling noise that I assume is the GDI rattle? Maybe? If this keeps up, I'll be getting another car in the next few months.

Has anyone else had this trouble? If so what was the fix?
Due to different engines this may not relate but it's worth looking into. My '17 Sonata Eco has the 1.6L "Gemini" engine and at 124K it died. It turned out to be a burned exhaust valve and because I wasn't getting any maintenance done through the dealer they ultimately refused to address the issue at all. I ended up paying $3500 of my own money to get a valve job done. The bigger point that I'd like to make here is that in hindsight I can see that there were telling signs all along the way. Over time my oil consumption just got worse and worse but really didn't start to show until about 80 or 90K miles and of course, it was just a little at first but near the end, it was a quart every 1K miles. There was a class-action lawsuit settlement for owners of the "Theta" engine that extended the existing 100K warranty on the engine for life but as in your case, you had to prove that you had met their maintenance guidelines. As I was approaching 100K I began to notice a lack of performance and was already using premium gasoline, thinking that I had a faulty ECM or something when all along it was the burned valve just getting worse and worse. After the valve job the car runs like new on regular octane. If only I had understood or at least recognized that something was seriously wrong I would have had it in to the dealer well before the 100K point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts