Sonata Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took our 13' Sonata 2.0 turbo in for an oil change. The dealer told us that if we don't use a Hyundai oil filter then our engine warranty would be void. They claim that aftermarket filters don't meet Hyundai's specs and will void the warranty. I explained that the filter I wanted them to use has a backflow prevention feature and says it meets all manufacturers specs. They responded that Hyundai won't accept any filter except their own. Any input on this?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes you are asking for problems bringing in aftermarket products to your Hyundai Dealer. Not only was what they told you possibly true, but they are the first line of defense to deny warranty coverage. If you have been using anything other than an OEM part, you are asking for problems, especially having your dealer install them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you are asking for problems bringing in aftermarket products to your Hyundai Dealer. Not only was what they told you possibly true, but they are the first line of defense to deny warranty coverage. If you have been using anything other than an OEM part, you are asking for problems, especially having your dealer install them.
I checked the owners manual and it does not claim that the Hyundai oil filter is your only choice. I also can't believe that all Hyundai owners have their oil changed at a Hyundai dealer only. Since my oil changes are free for as long as I own the car, I really don't have an issue. It just seems that what the dealer is claiming has me questioning them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I checked the owners manual and it does not claim that the Hyundai oil filter is your only choice. I also can't believe that all Hyundai owners have their oil changed at a Hyundai dealer only. Since my oil changes are free for as long as I own the car, I really don't have an issue. It just seems that what the dealer is claiming has me questioning them.
Dealers are funny. Anything to weasel out of Warranty work. There are certain known filters that can cause engine damage. Hyundai OEM parts are suggested, but I even found my Dealer selling me a non OEM part over the counter. They use certain non OEM parts as well! By the way I have a great Dealer and learned one of their many dirty little secrets. That Cabin filter was not to be seen by the Customer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah that is not true with the oil filter... That particular dealer may not accept the warranty but another would. I personally do my own oil changes/brakes/whatever is not covered under warranty. I would drive to another dealer. Good luck

·
Registered
63 Posts
It is true. I recently visited my Dealership and they had a warning about using non OEM or OEM Equivalent parts. 25 years ago I was told I used non approved Oil for my Turbo, yet they never asked what Oil I used? If you have many Dealers to Choose from then do what you want. I have to drive to another State for service and enjoy their $19.95 oil change

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't think creating an oil filter is "rocket science." I can't believe any brand of oil filter would void the warranty. The dealer is just hiding behind that blanket statement. The problem is taking in parts that you want the dealer to install. The dealer wants to install their parts, not someone else's parts.

Way long ago, my dad owned and ran a gas station. That was back 50 years ago, when gas stations actually did mechanical work on cars, not just sell gas as they are now. My dad would get so mad, when a customer would bring in parts, wanting him to install their parts. He simply refused to do it.........likening it to asking a restaurant to cook food that you (the customer) would bring in to the restaurant. So, it is considered just "bad manners" to bring in parts to have them install your parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Know the LAW and Your Rights

Took our 13' Sonata 2.0 turbo in for an oil change. The dealer told us that if we don't use a Hyundai oil filter then our engine warranty would be void. They claim that aftermarket filters don't meet Hyundai's specs and will void the warranty. Any input on this?
As a consumer it is your responsibility to know the law. Do a little reading.

Tell him to put what he said in writing. I bet he won't because he is breaking the law. Also if the Hyundai filter is the only filter that can be used it has to be supplied to you for FREE. Read The Law

Dealers get away with this because we don't take responsibility and inform ourselves

Summary of Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Consumer purchasers of such components such as automotive oil and filters are sometimes told by dealer's service writer or mechanics that a brand replacement part/product can not be used in the consumer's vehicle during the warranty period. The claim is made, that use of the brand will "void the warranty" with the statement of implication that only the original equipment brand may be used. This of course tends to cast doubt on the quality of the replacement part/product.

That claim is simply not true. If the consumer asks for the statement in writing, he will not receive it. Nevertheless, the consumer may feel uneasy about using replacement parts/products that are not original equipment. With the large number of do-it-yourselfers who may prefer to purchase a different brand of part/product, this misleading claim should be corrected.

Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. SS 2301-1312 (1982), and general principles of the Federal Trade Commission Act, a manufacturer may not require the use of any brand of product (or any other article) unless the manufacturer provides the item free of charge under the terms of the warranty.

So if the consumer is told that only the original brand of part/product will not void the warranty, he should request that the OE part/product be supplied free of charge. If he is charged for the part/product, the manufacturer will be violating the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act or other applicable law.

By providing this information to the consumers, the aftermarket industry can help to combat the erroneous claim that a brand of replacement part/product other than the original equipment will "void the warranty".

It should be noted that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a federal law that applies to consumer products. The Federal Trade commission has authority to enforce the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, including obtaining injunctions and orders containing affirmative relief. In addition, a consumer can bring suit under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

"No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name...."(15 U.S.C. 2302(c).

So Get what he said in writing, then demand the oil filter for free and if he declines, you have the right to sue him, its the law.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I don't have my oil changed at the dealer. I supply a Hyundai filter along with a new crush ring and Mobil 1 synthetic oil to the company who does change it for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Took our 13' Sonata 2.0 turbo in for an oil change. The dealer told us that if we don't use a Hyundai oil filter then our engine warranty would be void. They claim that aftermarket filters don't meet Hyundai's specs and will void the warranty. I explained that the filter I wanted them to use has a backflow prevention feature and says it meets all manufacturers specs. They responded that Hyundai won't accept any filter except their own. Any input on this?

I think that takes big B**s to take your own filter to a dealer for a oil change, that's how they pay their workers, light & heat, that is really takes a lot of nerve!

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Dealers are funny and they vary. When I wanted to have a CAI intake installed in my 2012 Sonata, the dealer told me they wouldn't and it would void my warranty... Baloney! I called Hyundai USA and they told me it wouldn't. But Heaven help me if I didn't keep the filter clean. They gave me a case number but also told me they wanted a Hyundai dealership to install it. I took it over to another dealership across town and they gladly installed it no questions asked.

I purchased a service contract for my 2013 Sonata Turbo which included 10 full
synthetic oil changes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hyundai doesn't manufacture filters. If you use an aftermarket filter that meets or exceeds the manufacturer's spec, your warranty CANNOT be voided.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts