Sonata Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son came home today and informed me that there was water leaking out from the paint behind his door handle. He has a 2015 sonata. I took a look at it and you can see it’s crack and was leaking water. There doesn’t look like any water on the bottom of the insider door panel. Or any water where there should be besides location in the picture. It should be noted this door was repainted twice. Once due to recall and the second time due to an accident. Also should be noted there is no rust on the outside of the door or anywhere visible or behind door hinge when you open the car door. Any one have this issue, could this be fault of the body shop (been a year since it was painted). How was this resolved?
Thank you in advance if there are any other question I can clarify please let me know

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good grief. Now I've seen everything.

My best guess is that the metal was not sufficiently prepped before painting. The paint is pulling away from the place where it isn't sticking, helped by water infiltration that it filling the void like a bag. This problem will probably get worse after each car wash or rainstorm as more water will increase the void.

I would visit the company who last painted this and show them what is happening and ask for a goodwill repair. Have your record of the repaint with you. Even though it has been more than a year, a good quality shop will want to make their work right. If they refuse a free repair, ask if they would repaint it for half price since it is an obvious defect.

I would get this repaired as any additional water infiltration will make the bubble worse.

A hillbilly temporary repair (I'm from Missouri) would be to take a razor blade or ExactoKnife and cut a small vertical slit in the bottom of the bubbled paint as a method for the water to drain out. Again, the paint bubble will get larger with each rainstorm, so it will get worse and eventually spoil the paint on the door, which will be a more expensive repair.

In the seventies I saw decorative stick-on plaques that would fit behind the door handles. Don't know if any are still around, but could be a cheap way of covering the failing paint.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts