Sonata Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I've decided to start a "build" thread. Since this car is leased, I'm only going to minor mods to the car that I can easily swap back to stock when I return the car. So no major exterior nor suspension mods will done unfortunately :( That being said, I did want to document the changes that I do make in hopes that it will help out fellow members and maybe provide some inspiration. So without further ado here some pics of my car that I just recently got:

Love the car so far! :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For my first mod, I added a K&N drop-in filter. I found it new on eBay for $39 shipped. The install was fairly simple, if you've ever replaced the air filter before, it's the same. I've definitely noticed a slight difference in sound. It isn't as load as a Cold Air Intake, but you can definitely hear air being sucked in. I'll add some videos in the near future to show you this.

For my second "mod", I bought the F24GDi badge from KAI. It cost me around $10 shipped after coupon and rebate. Unfortunately when I installed the badge, I realized only after I installed, that it was uneven with the "Sonata" badge on the driver side. Since it was a sweltering 98F day, I wanted to see how hard it would be to remove the Sonata badge. Using two fingers, I easily pried off the letters. Using some Goo-gone, I removed the adhesive left over. Here are the results:

This is similar to my Genesis Coupe KDM badge set up. I like having the lettering on the passenger side as it gives it that sort of "Euro" BMW look :p Since this badge contains red lettering it will obviously add +2hp to make up for the deficit in power that the GLS has compared to the SE :p

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exhaust mod

So for my third mod, I got a little inspiration:

AFAIK, the Forte Koupe uses the same 2.4L Theta Engine in the Sonata. The owner basically did a muffler delete and replaced it with a straight pipe. When I went to the muffler shop, I had them try 4 different set ups: MagnaflowXL Turbo muffler, Magnaflow muffler, glass pack, and straight pipe. I felt that under open revs the Magnaflows were a little too quiet and the straight pipe to be a little too loud. I decided on the glasspack:

Honestly after a day of driving to work, I don't really care for it too much. From the interior it sounds almost like I have a really bad exhaust leak. This is totally understandable as the stock muffler was *HUGE* obviously to resonate any noise to make the car quiet as possible. I think this exhaust would be fine in a 2-door coupe with a stick shift, but it really doesn't work on this sedan. Especially when I put the car in Eco-assist mode, it is constantly droning. What surprises me though, is highway drone is next to non-existent. I contribute this to the fact that the gearing is configured so low that you cruise at 70 under 2k which is really nice. I might make some videos tomorrow morning before I swap out the glasspack just for documentation purposes. I've made an appointment for tomorrow morning, hopefully I can swap it out for a Magnaflow muffler and not have to pay too much.

·
Registered
130 Posts
awesome build thread, keep these updates coming!
I love how that forte sounds, much better then I thought it would. Never expected a korean car to sound like that!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Good start. The exhaust can be a lot of trial and error. Everyone likes theirs to sound a certain way. My general rule of thumb is to get rid of the mid muffler/resonator, then use the magnaflow or strait through style muffler at the end. You'll get a much better sound. If its too raspy, then slap an aftermarket resonator or strait through muffler in the place of the mid muffler and it'll get rid of the rasp. Never use a glasspack, it generally doesn't sound too good. Good luck and keep on posting!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good start. The exhaust can be a lot of trial and error. Everyone likes theirs to sound a certain way. My general rule of thumb is to get rid of the mid muffler/resonator, then use the magnaflow or strait through style muffler at the end. You'll get a much better sound. If its too raspy, then slap an aftermarket resonator or strait through muffler in the place of the mid muffler and it'll get rid of the rasp. Never use a glasspack, it generally doesn't sound too good. Good luck and keep on posting!
That's sound advice. To be honest, I was just being cheap :p I had the glasspack swapped out for a MagnaflowXL turbo muffler and it sounds perfect to me. I get just enough feedback from the engine to let me know that it's accelerating/decelerating without being too obnoxious. I'll post a video once I find my digital camera :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hearing that in the beginning of the video you would never think it's a Hyundai. Instead a BMW, Mercedes or something german.

I haven't done much research on what can be done to these cars and what has been done already, but the more i look into it, the more impressive they seem to me.
I always thought it sounded like a Lambo :p My V6 was pretty loud at full throttle but was still nice around town. Unfortunately from I've seen, the turbos in the 2.0 were pretty wimpy and if you put in a larger turbo you'd greatly increase the chance of your engine going *kaboom* I think after more years of R&D they'll be putting out impressive numbers once they get everything right.

Anywhoo, Hyundais are impressive all around :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also just purchased my sonata about 3 weeks ago. I have never done any modifications on any of my previous cars, but i will definitely be doing some on this one. I started by changing the cloth seats for leather last week. Next up is a set of rims. I really want a set of the 19" R-spec Genesis coupe wheels, but can't find any at the right price. Keep the post coming.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also just purchased my sonata about 3 weeks ago. I have never done any modifications on any of my previous cars, but i will definitely be doing some on this one. I started by changing the cloth seats for leather last week. Next up is a set of rims. I really want a set of the 19" R-spec Genesis coupe wheels, but can't find any at the right price. Keep the post coming.
Congrats! The Gencoupe 19" rims complement this car very well. I've generally seen them sell used for $400-$600 on gencoupe.com.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
UPDATE! (finally)

Okay, so I think that I've settled on a exhaust setup. I ditched the glasspack and went with a Magnaflow muffler. I wasn't completely satisfied with the sound (I wanted more "burble" if that makes sense) so I also replaced the stock resonator with a Magnaflow Magnapack. I'm really satisfied with this setup. It provides a nice, mellow, deep sounding exhaust that doesn't sound high pitched. It's strange, but I think the sound is louder in the car as opposed to the outside. For me, this is the best of both worlds as I can enjoy the sound of the engine without attracting too much attention from cops :p The exhaust shop also figured out a way to add a dual tip by lowering the muffler instead of having to use the hidden tip cut off. Here are some pics:

I also uploaded some videos to YouTube. Honestly, the mic on my digital camera sucks so it sounds really quiet :p In real life, it's not too loud and not too quiet. I now can actually hear my car accelerate! :p

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nice! Sounds good!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice! Sounds good!
Thanks man! :)

So I was going to install the Air Inlet Duct today but they sent me a 2.4L one instead of a 2.0. I'm now going to have to wait until Wednesday for the right part :(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice it sounds good! I like the exhaust tips. Do you plan on doing anything else?
Hard to say at this point. I leased this car with the main purpose of paying down my credit card debt so any future mods will be put on hold. I'm thinking of getting a new intake but it won't be for a while :p

Sounds really good! I was hoping for more of a deeper tone but I would be very happy with that if I were you.
Haha! How much deeper do you expect from a 4-banger? :p It sounds much beefier than the 2.0T Genesis Coupe I had before. Not as good as the 3.8 V6 of course. I really don't know how much deeper I could get, my main goal was to have a little bit more noise from the exhaust without being too obnoxious. So like you said, I'm pretty happy with it :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So a little update on the intake swap.

I received the 2.0T Air inlet duct (this time the correct one yay!) and when I went to try and install it, the stock intake tube going from the throttle body blocks the 2.0T air inlet duct from installing. Also, the duct going into the stock airbox is larger on the 2.0T air inlet. So unfortunately it will not work :( Guess I'll have to wait until there's a SRI available that I like.

·
Registered
374 Posts
So a little update on the intake swap.

I received the 2.0T Air inlet duct (this time the correct one yay!) and when I went to try and install it, the stock intake tube going from the throttle body blocks the 2.0T air inlet duct from installing. Also, the duct going into the stock airbox is larger on the 2.0T air inlet. So unfortunately it will not work :( Guess I'll have to wait until there's a SRI available that I like.
that sucks, I was patiently waiting for you to update us on some great results but clearly thats not happening. at least now people will know that this will not work!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
that sucks, I was patiently waiting for you to update us on some great results but clearly thats not happening. at least now people will know that this will not work!
Yea it sucks but oh well. You kind of risk that when you're doing something that hasn't been done before :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts