Sonata Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While I am not new to the board or automobiles for that matter, i am somewhat confused on this Eco stuff esp recently finding the info button on my Nav and seeing the graph for Eco driving - so here are my questions (in no particular order and in hopes someone can shed some much needed light) - Thanks in advance! :D

1. Is it better to drive with Eco "on" all the time or only when you are driving long distances (for example highway driving only) ?

2. The Eco driving screen on the Nav - shows your mpgs every 2.5 minutes (something which i think is alittle strange since you could be gassing it up hill and it will read your getting maybe 9mpgs at that particular moment it tries to collect data) so really how do you collect rewards which is also on that screen? There is something called Eco rewards for beating the national average of 26mpg (which i have done many times) but i have yet to collect any points - do you have to drive for a specific time (say an hour) before it registers points?

3. How is the MPG meter on the gauges different from what that of the Nav Eco screen explains? Today i was getting 28mpg live and the Eco was telling me 29/36/43 mpgs as i continued driving and it was collecting data every 2.5mins ???

4. Is anyone getting good gas milage with there Sonata? I just hit 1800k miles and i think from the live meter on the gauge area my best was close to 30mpgs but that was doing 60 set in cruise control with no air cond. no sunroof open etc. no where near the 35mpgs suggested -

·
Registered
1 Posts
i can tell you what is an Eco driving
Ecodriving is a term used to describe energy efficient use of vehicles. It is a great and easy way to reduce fuel consumption from road transport so that less fuel is used to travel the same distance.

In the last decades, engine technology and performance of cars has improved rapidly, while most drivers have not adapted their driving style. Ecodriving represents a driving culture which suits to modern engines and makes best use of advanced vehicle technologies. Ecodriving offers numerous benefits, including GHG emissions reductions, fuel cost savings, as well as greater safety and comfort.

There are many smart and safe driving techniques which can lead to significant fuel savings possibilities. Below you will find the Golden and Silver Rules of Ecodriving, which werde defined by the ECOWILL consortium and several external experts in 2011. These rules include additional explanations which are directed at professionals.
Performance Chip

·
Registered
2016 sonata hybrid
1 Posts
Eco Driving

I have an eco button on my 2011 Sonata but the answer above sounds like a sales brochure. What does the button on my 2011 do? I leave it on all the time but I can't tell if it does anything for the mileage. By the way I get about 30-31 mpg on the highway and have never gotten the advertised 35.

·
Registered
39 Posts
the only time i really use eco mode is in the city and some highway driving, i doesnt effect driving all that much.

When i drove mine, but i did notice it did do better in eco mode in the city no doubt..

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are very disappointed with the gas mileage we are getting with our Sonata. Combo of local and hwy - we've never gotten above 18-19 mpg and for local driving sometimes as little as 15-16. We have over 3200 miles on the car. We get better mileage on our larger car which is 6 cylinders.
We have discussed this with our dealer who says we need to have 7000 miles on the car before we will get better mileage. I thought "breaking-in" a car was a thing of the past.
HELP

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am getting the same results, gas mileage is not great at all - Highway driving is decent but city is pretty poor and this is with Eco on all the time - 35-40mpg according to the commercial must be for the basic model because the 2.0T with the dual exhaust and high HP motor is no where near that...Ive heard a couple times it may take a couple thousand miles to get results (i am currently at 2k)

·
Registered
39 Posts
All it does is delay throttle controls and makes driving less aggressive, i think when on the highway eco mode doesn't do all that much, just generally on the highway.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We are very disappointed with the gas mileage we are getting with our Sonata. Combo of local and hwy - we've never gotten above 18-19 mpg and for local driving sometimes as little as 15-16. We have over 3200 miles on the car. We get better mileage on our larger car which is 6 cylinders.
We have discussed this with our dealer who says we need to have 7000 miles on the car before we will get better mileage. I thought "breaking-in" a car was a thing of the past.
HELP
I can understand your frustration; I believe you are getting lesds mpg than you should. I get 26-27 in suburbia and 32 on the interste and I'm not a hypermiller by a long shot. I have ventured into town a couple of times and while there I got mpg in the low twenties. If you do a lot of stop and go witgh only short periods of movement I can see mid teens. I suspect the larger car under the same routes will gert less mpg.
In short, how you drive and where you drive has a lot to do witgh your mpg.

·
Registered
41 Posts
While I am not new to the board or automobiles for that matter, i am somewhat confused on this Eco stuff esp recently finding the info button on my Nav and seeing the graph for Eco driving - so here are my questions (in no particular order and in hopes someone can shed some much needed light) - Thanks in advance! :D

1. Is it better to drive with Eco "on" all the time or only when you are driving long distances (for example highway driving only) ?

2. The Eco driving screen on the Nav - shows your mpgs every 2.5 minutes (something which i think is alittle strange since you could be gassing it up hill and it will read your getting maybe 9mpgs at that particular moment it tries to collect data) so really how do you collect rewards which is also on that screen? There is something called Eco rewards for beating the national average of 26mpg (which i have done many times) but i have yet to collect any points - do you have to drive for a specific time (say an hour) before it registers points?

3. How is the MPG meter on the gauges different from what that of the Nav Eco screen explains? Today i was getting 28mpg live and the Eco was telling me 29/36/43 mpgs as i continued driving and it was collecting data every 2.5mins ???

4. Is anyone getting good gas milage with there Sonata? I just hit 1800k miles and i think from the live meter on the gauge area my best was close to 30mpgs but that was doing 60 set in cruise control with no air cond. no sunroof open etc. no where near the 35mpgs suggested -
I've tried 'eco' on and off and I cant tell the difference. I get the est mpg by paddle-shifting til I get to cruising speed and then ledt the automatic cruise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here it is in a nutshell:

ECO mode delays or deadens throttle response to even out the fuel delivery curve. Think of it as a nanny-state beaurocrat under the hood holding your throttle steady and asking every second, "Are you sure you need to press the gas pedal that hard?".

It does seem to work, perhaps an average of 5% improvement in economy. You can improve on the ECO mode by lifting off slightly to maintain speed while driving and lifting completely to coast as much as possible. Really boosts the average MPG once you get the hang of it, but in urban settings it may be too much to ask of your fellow motorists...

BREAKING IN:

I went through this grinder as well. Turns out the fuel economy will improve as you put a few more miles on the car. Tolerances are fairly tight in modern aluminum block engines and some initial wear will reduce friction and get you on the road to improved MPG.

The first several hundred miles I was stunned to see under 30 MPG on the highway. Now I've got over 8,000 miles on the car and can achieve over 38 MPG highway if I'm careful - 36 actual measured MPG in normal highway driving with the ECO button on. I expect that to improve a little more after 12k miles or so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same experiance as TourDeForce, once I went over 8-9k in miles on my Sonata I began to see a much improved MPG especially on the Hgwy. I am close to 11K now and get between 35-38 easily on hgwy.

As far as the ECO on hgwy i really dont see a difference as its in cruise control most of the time anyway, but local I can tell the difference in taking off when ECO is on or off, but not much change really in MPG.

·
Registered
222 Posts
ECO mode won't do much on the highway in terms of feel but in the city you should feel the response of the car decline a bit with ECO mode on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I like using ECO when traveling in the city since it's all stop and go bumper to bumper traffic and random clear stretches of road and back to traffic. On the highway since your usually going at the same pace all the way through ECO isn't really needed as it wouldn't change your highway driving style much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2.0T Limited with 18k miles. I keep the ECO on all the time and average 35 hwy and 28-29 city...if I can keep may foot out of it

·
Registered
5 Posts
2013 sonata mileage

reset mileage when you go on the hightway. my car has 1300 miles on it and I average 35.1 to 38.4 for straight highway milage. city runs 22 to 28 not bad for a new car. When in traffic the mileage drops like a rock. Love the car hate the steering. you can't just set back with one hand on the wheel and drive. the car seens like it is out of alignment ( toe out) wants to go left then right. sector has been checked and is at is least sensitve setting. Needs to be reengineered. If that doesn't get fixed soon I will be buying another car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I'm driving in the city, I do use the Eco mode. I have found it actually changes the calibration of the gas pedal. The throttle response seems to be more gradual (opens slower). Thus it doesn't not allow you to floor the engine right off the bat.

Most engines need to be broken in (around 10,000 miles) to get the best fuel economy. Keep in mind that the fuel ratings you see in advertisements and dealer stickers are all in optimal conditions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.