Sonata Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I both drive 2007 Sonatas. Only difference is mine is red and his is white. Both have 4 cyl. engines and auto trannies. His had 64K miles and mine has 50K miles. About 35K on his, it began to "surge and jerk" at 46 mph to 51 mph. Nothing was found. Changed tranny fluid and it stopped for a bit. Now it's back. Now my car is in the shop for the same reason. Cannot find a code, cannot reproduce the problem. Told service guy to drive it where I drive it every day and he'd reproduce it. Tach is always at 1500 to 2000 and never fluctuates when it happens. Torque convertor was mentioned to us by another mechanic, but dealer doesn't think that's it. Also, someone suggesed harmonic balancer, but that was a new one on me. Hyundai did start a ticket on hubby's car, but no word. Any suggestions? Car with dealer until Friday.....Thanks!

·
Registered
374 Posts
i have a feeling it might be the transmission control unit, aka TCU. that tranny fluid change might of reset it for the time being, reason why the problem stopped for a bit. anytime you come across a problem like this it's always good to make sure what ever sensors, computers, modules, etc are working fine before getting to moving parts, usually I like to hack into the harder technical stuff after all the easy things are looked at already

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you end up solving the problem?

Looks like you aren't the only one

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sona...lla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr
NO! Dealer can't find anything so they can't fix it. Gave them TWO TSB #'s, but they said they didn't apply to my car or my husband's car. Didn't get to see the full bulletin either. They don't care about fixing it. Sick of hearing "if we can't get a code, we can't fix it." Two different dealers, same problem. Both cars were bought three months apart! They did change the tranny fluid and it has momentarily stopped it, but if it's like my husband's car, it will be back in no time. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are the TSB's we found. How do we find the full content?

2007 Hyundai Sonata Power Train Service Bulletin 278369

2007 Hyundai Sonata Power Train Service Bulletin 348451

2007 Hyundai Sonata Equipment Service Bulletin 277489

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dealers HATE when you bring a Hyundai TSB in. They are supposed to run your VIN when you come in to see if any TSB's apply. This is a common complaint on the early I4 Sonatas at the exact speeds.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Dealers HATE when you bring a Hyundai TSB in. They are supposed to run your VIN when you come in to see if any TSB's apply. This is a common complaint on the early I4 Sonatas at the exact speeds.
I guess it's because it might not pay that well or not pay at all. I worked in a dealership before and anything that didn't earn the tech more units they tried to completely avoid, even if it took 10-20 minutes to do, can't blame them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts