Sonata Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having a problem with parking on a steep driveway. Emergency brake on, put in park, let go of brake. Car rolls back several inches! Anyone else have this problem?:confused:

·
Registered
99 Posts
We are having a problem with parking on a steep driveway. Emergency brake on, put in park, let go of brake. Car rolls back several inches! Anyone else have this problem?:confused:
well is it too the point your scared of a runaway or just a little rollback? rollback is normal when parking on an incline even with parking brake engaged. Its just the drive wheels resting on the transmission teeth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, we know that it is normal for a slight rollback. However, this rollback is not slight. And, it is very difficult to get the car out of Park and into Drive. It is like the gear has to work very hard to move.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, we know that it is normal for a slight rollback. However, this rollback is not slight. And, it is very difficult to get the car out of Park and into Drive. It is like the gear has to work very hard to move.
With the car in neutral does the emergency brake hold? If not your emergency brake shoes need to be adjusted. The EB should hold the car to prevent the transmission parking pawl from binding. The EB shoe adjustment can be accessed by removing the rear wheels and removing the little round rubber plug from the top hat of the rotor. This gives access to the brake shoe star adjuster. With the EB disengaged just use a screwdriver prying up/down until the shoes drag on the drum and stop it, then back off until there is no drag. When both sides have been adjusted and you engage the EB you should find you can get it to hold the car without the peddle reaching the floor.

·
Registered
374 Posts
you can try turning your wheels in such a way that if it rolls back the rear wheels hit (if on an incline) the curb, stopping it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a very steep driveway as well.

Here is what I do when parking on my driveway.

While holding my foot on the brake. Place the transmission in neutral. Then set the EBrake. Slowly let off the brake, and let the weight of the car rest on the EBrake. Finally place the transmission in park. This way the weight of the car is on the EBrake, and not on the parking pawl of the transmission. It also gives you a chance to confirm EBrake engagement.

When leaving I hold the brake, disengage the EBrake, and then put the transmission in gear.

I do this everytime when the EBrake is needed. This helps prevent stress on the parking pawl, eliminates the harsh transmission clunk, and makes it easier to shift the transmission out of park.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Do you need to be worried about what parking like this regularly will do to your brakes? Is it going to wear the brakes down faster than if you didn't always have to park on a steep incline?
@Ovrbdgt seems like he has a pretty good system in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts