Sonata Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For owners of the Hyundai Sonata, what would you list as your top pros and cons about the Sonata.

Pros: Hyundai reliability, quality materials, storage options

Cons: limited rear-seat headroom

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've owned one since March '13. So far:

Pros:
--Lots of technology: Bluetooth, USB/iPod, CD, Satellite Radio, etc
--Heated seats
--Sleek fluid design
--Decent MPG, in the highway I've gotted up to 38MPG without breaking it in yet (2K miles in)
--Pretty roomy overall, 6'3' friend fits comfortably in the backseat, although his 2007 Sonata felt roomier to him.

Cons:
--The only one I have is that when I reach 100MPH the car does not automatically decrease power-steering to maintain a less wobbly feel. At those speeds it is safer for the power-steering not to be as responsive---it's what the town cars do.
--No rear heated seats (but you can usually only get that on luxury cars)
--No stock LED lighting, like the Kia does, I believe. I installed LED's myself for <$100

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am looking into buying a new Hyundai Sonata and I have done a lot of research. The reviews are very positive they say there are lots of standard for the money, stylish and comfortable cabin and top fuel economy. Fuel economy is a top priority for me. I am actualy considering the Sonata Hybrid.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am looking into buying a new Hyundai Sonata and I have done a lot of research. The reviews are very positive they say there are lots of standard for the money, stylish and comfortable cabin and top fuel economy. Fuel economy is a top priority for me. I am actualy considering the Sonata Hybrid.
Very cool. I don't think you will be disappointed. What other cars are you looking at?

·
Registered
4 Posts
pros and cons: after 50k miles my 2012 SE with nav has been great so far. My biggest issue so far is the noise level at highway speeds, Hyundai uses almost nothing in the way of noise insulation. I know this because I removed the interior seats door panels and carpet. I would of gladly paid a few extra bucks at purchase to have a quieter car. Increased weight of additional insulation would not have a noticable impact on fuel economy. My biggest like is the fact that I can use my nav while moving. Many other car companies have this feature locked out. It's a huge pain to have to pull over and stop to make a minor change or search for a POI (point of interest)

·
Registered
49 Posts
pros and cons: after 50k miles my 2012 SE with nav has been great so far. My biggest issue so far is the noise level at highway speeds, Hyundai uses almost nothing in the way of noise insulation. I know this because I removed the interior seats door panels and carpet. I would of gladly paid a few extra bucks at purchase to have a quieter car. Increased weight of additional insulation would not have a noticable impact on fuel economy. My biggest like is the fact that I can use my nav while moving. Many other car companies have this feature locked out. It's a huge pain to have to pull over and stop to make a minor change or search for a POI (point of interest)
Noise level is definitely a real issue. Wished it was quieter. Nothing screams AWESOME like a quiete car. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 2010 gls 2.4 at
Cons:
not being able to completely cut off the esc. not being able to down shaft when i want to so i can shaft the weight to the front tires when cornering. the ride is a little too soft for me ( i was daily driving and racing a 1989 Toyota MR2). small aftermarket.
Pros:
the car is pretty stable at high speeds. the engine pick up is good. the gas milage is great. the car is easy to drive. if you f up it will not bite your head out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Cons:
--The only one I have is that when I reach 100MPH the car does not automatically decrease power-steering to maintain a less wobbly feel. At those speeds it is safer for the power-steering not to be as responsive---it's what the town cars do.
I agree. This is the first thing I noticed. Forget 100mph even at 60mph.

Electric systems should decrease sensitivity and assist as the speed goes up to stiffen up the steering.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The issues with power steering at higher speeds -- does that mean that when you drive at high speeds the steering is too touchy? You end up wobbling and having jerky steering? Doesn't sound like much fun to me, especially when you add in the poor sound insulation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've owned one since March '13. So far:

Cons:
--No rear heated seats (but you can usually only get that on luxury cars)
--No stock LED lighting, like the Kia does, I believe. I installed LED's myself for <$100

I have rear heated seats in my Sonata. 2013 Limited Hybrid, 2.4T

·
Registered
374 Posts
The issues with power steering at higher speeds -- does that mean that when you drive at high speeds the steering is too touchy? You end up wobbling and having jerky steering? Doesn't sound like much fun to me, especially when you add in the poor sound insulation.
Doesn't sound good for Hyundai.
It might be something that pushes them to introduce electric steering which would bring them up to par with other brands like Infiniti and allow them to offer similar steering setups like what Infiniti's Q50 has.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Good suggestion making a change with the steering system might help with the issue but with that kind of technology and feature I dont see it happening for at least another year or two becuase of the cost.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The 2011+ Sonata steering does change based on vehicle speed. From the 2011 owners manual, page 4-35:

"The steering becomes heavier as the
vehicle’s speed increases and becomes
lighter as the vehicle’s speed decreases
for optimum steering control."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking at the 2009 Hyundai Sonata

I currently own a 2002 cavalier. I have had it for about five years and the previous owner was an old lady who bought it new and while she was alive she only drove a little over 45k in it. I bought it as a high school senior and attended a college three states away, so I added almost 50k. However she's slowly falling apart and because the original gas cap was missing when I got it the gas mileage isn't where it is suppose to be. While doing my research for another car I think that the car that meets my needs is the 2009 Hyundai Sonata. It has more space than the cavalier, terrific gas mileage for the size, and as far as I have seen on the web, no major mechanical problems that costs an arm and a leg. Would any owners of a 2009 Hyundai Sonata (GLS preferred) care to voice their opinions?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Greetings, I have a 2009 GLS I4 and love it. I have had it just over a year. Purchased with Hyundai Assurance so still full warranty on vehicle. it has 56,000 on the clock. It has been a good performer. handles very well as I have changed the rear sway bar to a UltraRacing 200 mm bar. Front strut tower brace. I have had no real issues with it to this point and hope it continues. Owned a 2000 Accent for 13 years and it was fantastic also. Gas mileage is pretty good. I didn't purchase it with high mileage expectations although it gets pretty much what was on the new car sticker. Very comfortable on longer trips. The wife loves the comfort level.

Good luck and good shopping!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would you say buying a 2009 Sonata for around 8 grand today is a fair market price if I find one with a clear title and over 100k miles?

·
Registered
9 Posts
2013 Lim2.0

Had since 6/13. Limited turbo premium package. Put 26K on it. Absolutely flawless car, gorgeous, fast, roomy, luxurious. But last Friday my fuel injection failed and its been a week. Parts delivery and dealer back log sucks. My opinion will remain strong as long as other problems don't start popping up. Had this issue not occurred, a 10 for sure. But now I have to wait and see how much time passes before another pain in the ass experience. Good news, repaired under warranty and free rental car. But still, a week???:eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
2015 sonanta

2015 Sonata limited 2.4l, premium package my experience after 1000 miles

pros: very little road noise, spacious cabin, near luxury feel, 33 hiway mpg, reasonably quiet refined engine, heated steering wheel, rear seats and other gadgets current big discounts in DC area.

cons: Front seat not as comfortable/cushy as fusion or accord. leather feels like vinyl, my gas mpg on 4 or 5 mile cold start trips is only middle teens. the only remote start option is through you cell phone and costs like $150 a year? Navigation maps does not seem to have a night setting so its like driving with a light on in your car at night if you use it.

Ride is subjective. Less choppy than the 2014 accord and altima, less insulated from road bumps than 2014 camry xle or ford fusion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts