Sonata Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
2013 Sonata SE mpg

I'm 58 yrs. old and lives in Las Vegas who recently purchased a 2013 Sonata SE on 07/18/12 and travels 34.5 miles to and from work w/ 80% highway driving at 60-70 mph using cruise control, ECO mode, and with A/C on. Out the dealership with a full tank (18.5gal), my fuel meter is now down to about 7 gallons left and my mileage is only 285 miles?!? I hope I'm wrong with my guess of the remaining fuel because the math shows only a combined city/highway 24.78 mpg. Sonata advertises 28mpg on city but I drive more on the highway so where am I missing the boat? I'll give an exact update later after I fill her up to full tank. I certainly hope I'm wrong with the math. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's the update to my previous post. Today, 07/30, I finally filled her up for the first time with 16.15gal to full tank and my mileage meter read 421 miles ONLY!?! Doing a little math, it's 26 mpg which fell quite short of the expected 30mpg considering the driving parameters I mentioned above. I'll give another full tank update maybe around 08/12. Remember my driving parameters- ECO mode, cruise control, 60-70 mph, 70% highway, and A/C on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update

Here's another update. My odometer reading on 08/11 was 882 miles and filled her up to full capacity with 16.26 gallons. Parameters set basically the same as ECO mode, unleaded fuel 89 grade, cruise control 40-70 mph, about 70% hwy, and A/C on. An improvement of 2.2mpg from the previous 25.9mpg. It's in the range but not yet ideal since Hyundai claims 28mpg on combined 50/50 city/hwy and I'm doing 30/70. Hyundai sales are optimistic that fuel efficiency will still improve to 30mpg in the next couple of fills. I'll keep my fingers crossed. It's still very hot here in Vegas with triple digits daily. Till the next update around 08/22.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A long test drive pre-dated this update. With the same parameters, I filled her up full tank with 16.84 gallons on 08/19/12. Trip odometer was 492 miles. A slight improvement from the previous mpg only because 130 miles was used for test drive. I wrote Hyundai engineering to find out what conditions or parameters could their advertised fuel efficiency be achieved and no reply yet. I'm finding it very difficult to believe that my old-school way of measuring the mpg is less accurate than the Sonata's built-in computerized system. Basically, the vehicle computer showed only a high 32 mpg during the 130-mile test drive (95% hwy) and the average speed at 34 mph even though I was cruising 65-70mph!? Something must be wrong. Anyway, I'm hoping that Hyundai engineering will pay a kind attention to my email. Hyundai dealership still insist that the Sonata's fuel efficiency will further improve given more mileage.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you should create your own thread on your Sonata to document it and just leave this for those that just want to post pic's of their silver Sonata's :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts