Sonata Forums banner

Rear ended 2016 Sonata SL with new engine .... what to do ?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  juliosonata 
#1 ·
The dealer installed a brand new engine 3 mths ago in my 2016 Sonata which was then rear ended in a hit & run which my insurance doesn't cover. So now I have a car with brand new engine & bashed in rear end. The fuel tank is ruptured but otherwise it needs body repair to get it moving again & I need it to get to work. Body shops are expensive so not sure whether its worth attempting to repair the rear damage or just part it out. I could replace tank myself but I'm not sure that such body repair is something an amateur like myself can tackle. Any body shop guys out there with any advice ?
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Wheel

See less See more
#4 ·
The dealer installed a brand new engine 3 mths ago in my 2016 Sonata which was then rear ended in a hit & run which my insurance doesn't cover. So now I have a car with brand new engine & bashed in rear end. The fuel tank is ruptured but otherwise it needs body repair to get it moving again & I need it to get to work. Body shops are expensive so not sure whether its worth attempting to repair the rear damage or just part it out. I could replace tank myself but I'm not sure that such body repair is something an amateur like myself can tackle. Any body shop guys out there with an
The dealer installed a brand new engine 3 mths ago in my 2016 Sonata which was then rear ended in a hit & run which my insurance doesn't cover. So now I have a car with brand new engine & bashed in rear end. The fuel tank is ruptured but otherwise it needs body repair to get it moving again & I need it to get to work. Body shops are expensive so not sure whether its worth attempting to repair the rear damage or just part it out. I could replace tank myself but I'm not sure that such body repair is something an amateur like myself can tackle. Any body shop guys out there with any advice ?
View attachment 6494

I don't think an amateur like you can repair it. First you would need to cut and replace part of the fender in addition to checking and correcting if necessary the geometry of the vehicle. Not many body shops know how to do this correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.