Sonata Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know how to change out the HID bulbs on the 2015 Sonata? I bought the 5000K bulbs and brought them to the dealership and they told me they'd have to remove the front bumper in order to change the bulbs ~ $275 for two hours' labor:eek:!

·
Registered
109 Posts
never have aftermarket work done at a dealership. they will rip you a new one. try a car audio place that is local but check their reviews and make sure they do quality work.

unfortunately 2015 is a new model but i'm sure you do have to remove the bumper in order to remove the headlights to change the bulb.

how far is alexandria from herndon, va?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Herdon is about 40 miles from Alexandria. When I had my Kia Optima, the dealer did it for nothing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
ah your pretty far from my hotel....i would just check around local shops

·
Registered
8 Posts
Unfortunately you do need to take the bumper off to get to the housing seal cap. Had the same problem with my 2014 but luckily for me I work for Hyundai so I had one of my dealers do it for $40. I'd deffinately follow what RichB said. He's pretty realiable

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just did exactly this last Friday. Bought D3S 6000k HID bulb and replaced with OEM one. As mentioned above, it requires removal of front bumper because each headlight housing have 3 bolts and one of them is hidden under the bumper.

If you have experience with removing the front bumper, this shouldn't be much of issue, but if you haven't then I would recommend going to local body shop or reach out to fellow handyman.

Should you attempt this yourself, quick advise would be have a magnetic Philips driver ready, which will come handy once you open up the dust cap of the housing. The bulb is held by a metal bridge(? for lack of better word) and tightened with two small bolts which need to be unscrewed if you are to remove the OEM bulb. It's really easy for that bolt to fall into the housing if you are not careful. (Boy I wished I had one of those magnetic ones when I encountered it)

Good luck and you'll enjoy matching color of HID and low LED DRL once you got them done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just did exactly this last Friday. Bought D3S 6000k HID bulb and replaced with OEM one. As mentioned above, it requires removal of front bumper because each headlight housing have 3 bolts and one of them is hidden under the bumper.

If you have experience with removing the front bumper, this shouldn't be much of issue, but if you haven't then I would recommend going to local body shop or reach out to fellow handyman.

Should you attempt this yourself, quick advise would be have a magnetic Philips driver ready, which will come handy once you open up the dust cap of the housing. The bulb is held by a metal bridge(? for lack of better word) and tightened with two small bolts which need to be unscrewed if you are to remove the OEM bulb. It's really easy for that bolt to fall into the housing if you are not careful. (Boy I wished I had one of those magnetic ones when I encountered it)

Good luck and you'll enjoy matching color of HID and low LED DRL once you got them done.
Thanks for the info ~ I went back to the dealer to check whether they'd found an easier way to do it and the answer was a big fat "NO":mad:!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know it's been awhile since the last post of this thread but I've been out of the game here for awhile and my fiance acquired a new 2015 Sonata Sport. She told me the salesperson told her it came with H.I.D's of course (I told her to ask, as I was at work). Of course they don't come with Xenon lights until the package on Limited edition or standard on sport T or limited T. So it looks like I'll be swapping to 5 or 6k H.I.D's but not sure who leads the pack anymore in quality. I've noticed all over this forum it's D.D but when I looked on their website, they don't have our bulb type for the 2015 models.

Whose product did you go with Elorin?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wonder why Hyundai switched from the D1S to a D3S in the 2015 model with HID? The D1S has been there go to bulb in everything from the Sonata to the Equus.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put an hid conversion kit in my 2015 sonata se that came with halogen bulbs, the hid's look 10 times worse. The shop that installed them said some projectors just don't work well with hid's. Can anyone confirm this or give me suggestions....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know what you people are talking about taking off the bumper to replace a hid bulb I have a 2015 sonata with hid all u have to do is remove the cap on the back of the headlight turn it and remove the bulb so I don't understand why anyone would tell u to REMOVE THE BUMPER BECAUSE THEY ARE WRONG !!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone actually been able to replace the stock HID bulbs without taking out the bumper? Seems a little absurd to have to take out the bumper just to replace the bulbs.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
I read in another thread about the Philips Diamond Vision Halogen HID Bulbs. The guy had pictures, and they look pretty nice. I can't find the post. If you just want whiter lights it should look good. I will be ordering some in the next 2 weeks or so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please do update us if you had to take the bumper out...
I actually looked thru my hood a few days back, seems a bit tight
Maybe...just maybe, we could do it with small hands and small screwdriver?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just installed my 6000k bulbs 2 nights ago. I attempted to do it with the lights on the car, to no avail. The second retaining screw is nearly impossible to get to. Removing my front bumper and headlight cases made a world of difference. Only took 45 minutes to an hour. 7 bolts/screws on fascia, 20 ish threaded clips, three bolts each lamp assy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info ~ I went back to the dealer to check whether they'd found an easier way to do it and the answer was a big fat "NO":mad:!
I have a 2015 Sonata Sport, I replaced my headlight bulbs with HID. I didn't remove bumper, it me about 1/2 HR to replace both bulbs. You should search youtube for a instructional video

1 - 20 of 21 Posts