Sonata Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Sonata Sport, I replaced my headlight bulbs with HID. I didn't remove bumper, it me about 1/2 HR to replace both bulbs. You should search youtube for a instructional video
Bro the standard sonata variant comes with halogen bulbs with 2 housing in headlight. For Low beam in lens, and high beam reflector beside.

Higher and top variants of sonata comes with OEM fitted hi/low projector HIDs. Which is completely different fitting if compare the one with halogens. It doesn't pop off by rotating. Simple way to replace Factory fitted HIDs is by removing bumper, remove headlight assembly. Other ways is difficult to access and mostly you end up dripping the screw inside the headlight assembly
I don't know what you people are talking about taking off the bumper to replace a hid bulb I have a 2015 sonata with hid all u have to do is remove the cap on the back of the headlight turn it and remove the bulb so I don't understand why anyone would tell u to REMOVE THE BUMPER BECAUSE THEY ARE WRONG !!!!!!
There is difference between the headlight assembly fitted in standard variant with halogen bulbs and headlight assembly fitted in top variants with factory fitted HID hi/lo projector. From outside it appears similar, but when work from inside to replace bulbs it is way different

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Sonata Sport, I replaced my headlight bulbs with HID. I didn't remove bumper, it me about 1/2 HR to replace both bulbs. You should search youtube for a instructional video

Hi, I know it's been a while, but I'm just running across this thread. Any Idea what the best YouTube Link you used to help you change the bulbs? I've been looking off and on for some time and haven't found a good one yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah me too. Wife's 2015 Sonata Limited, driver's side headlamp died. Should be easy to replace a light bulb right? WRONG! Dealer says that due to Covid, they can only order the complete headlamp assembly. They want $1843 to replace the entire assembly, and oh by the way, the other one will probably fail soon, plus the brightness and color won't match, so might as well do both of them. Plus it might not even be the bulb. Could be the ballast and no way to tell until you replace the bulb. So off to the internet I went, only to discover that you have to either take the front bumper off or try getting the bulb bracket off with a screwdriver and duct tape, and a flashlight and mirror, and a bottle of Xanax. When I start shopping for bulbs I find out that counterfeit Osram bulbs are a huge issue so you have to worry about trying to get "real" ones that have the hologram and "Trust Code". Then what color temperature do you want? I had no idea that a simple headlamp bulb replacement requires taking the front bumper off. Its insanity. So my plan is to buy a pair of 4300K D3S bulbs then take them and the car to a local repair shop and ask them to remove the front bumper and replace the bulbs. If the new driver's side bulb does not work then I will order a ballast and try again. It may get expensive but it should still be way under the $1843 EACH that the dealer wants. I did find one Youtube video but it wasn't ver good. If I can find it again I will post the link here. My next car will NOT have HID lamps! Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know what you people are talking about taking off the bumper to replace a hid bulb I have a 2015 sonata with hid all u have to do is remove the cap on the back of the headlight turn it and remove the bulb so I don't understand why anyone would tell u to REMOVE THE BUMPER BECAUSE THEY ARE WRONG !!!!!!

i think its the 2015 sonata sport limited 2.0T cause i was told the same thing. and mine uses the D3S not the other H7's that easily come out like its not worth it. my guy says $150 to do it like dam do i really want to do it now lol

21 - 24 of 24 Posts