Sonata Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all!

I have been taken by the fluidic styling of the new Sonata since the first time I saw one, and now with my brother considering taking my 2004 Bonneville off my hands, I am shopping for a nice used 2.0T

I have modified exhaust and installed aftermarket wheels and tires on every car I've ever owned, and while I love the look of low profile tires, their ride quality usually is less than stellar.

I recently installed 235/45ZR-17s on my 2012 Focus (my daily driver) and like the "fatter tire" kind of look.

Exhaust is big thing for me, and I like to be able to hear the engine running and responding but I dont want it rattling the fillings from my teeth. My Bonneville has nice Thrush turbos and my Focus has a crossflow Magnaflow twin outlet...both deliver a pretty mellow tone and nice growl under hard throttle. A nice induction noise is cool too but I know most turbo engines only supply a jet-like noise (my old PT Cruiser vert turbo sounded like a bad vacuum and I removed the Typhoon intake and sold it)

SO, all of those things considered, are there things I should be on the lookout for in used 2.0T ?...and how large a tire can the wheel wells accept before rubbing becomes an issue? Does any one else use different mufflers?

My goal is a capable and fun highway cruise missile:cool::D

Thanks in advance guys and hoping to be joining the owner club in couple months!

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I have a 2012 Sonata SE with 225 x 40 x 19. I really have no idea what the largest tire that will fit that will not rub. Sorry, I can't help you there. I have the stock dual muffler system that came with the SE. Personally, I don't like the sound of some of these upgraded muffler systems that get installed. To me they sound like a dragon fly stuck in a plastic bag. Best of luck to you in your search.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree completely on the buzzy "fart can" exhaust that seems so popular these days. I've learned the hard lesson with my 3.8 v6 cars to stick with a chambered muffler for a nice sound without the buzz or drone.

I see you have a Typhoon intake in your mod list, and as I mentioned in the OP, I do love a good induction sound from a N/A engine. I actually traded off the extra HP of the supercharged V6 when I shopped for my Bonneville just for the better sound (and MPG, no premium fuel,lower price)...so I think I might be willing to go for the 200hp 2.4L

My 2012 Focus has a 160hp 2.0L DI 4cyl and after adding the K&N its one of the sweetest sounding small engines I ever driven. If the Sonata sounds even remotely similar that would be miles of smiles for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts