Sonata Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I installed a Weapon R Secret Weapon short ram air intake kit into my 2007 3.3 v6 Hyundai Sonata Limited Platinum Edition and I have had the reoccurring problem of the engine going completely "limp" after moderate to heavy acceleration. the engine will be unresponsive while it is still on (pressing the gas pedal yields little to no response and the car will not move). when I shut the engine off, wait a minute, and restart, it goes back to normal. It is a reoccurring problem, however. Is it the fuel to air ratio that has been thrown off by the increased air intake? or is it because it is sucking in hot air? I have no clue and the dealership ran the codes and just simply told me to put the OE air intake back on. any info or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would take off the intake and put the stock intake back on that's most likely your problem! I had a 2004 Saturn Ion Red Line with a cai and always went into limp mode and my buddy had a Lexus IS 300 with an intake same problem! These late model newer cars are sooo precisely tuned that anything like a cold air will trigger a limp mode or engine light!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I already did that, I just wanted a deeper sound with some horsepower and mpg improvement. I had a 350z with an intake kit on it and it had no problem. I wonder if it is the airflow sensor that messes up with an aftermarket intake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yea I already did that, I just wanted a deeper sound with some horsepower and mpg improvement. I had a 350z with an intake kit on it and it had no problem. I wonder if it is the airflow sensor that messes up with an aftermarket intake.
More like the air intake messing up the mass air flow sensor! Lol...

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I have a 2012 Sonata SE with 20,000 miles on her. I put a K & N Typhoon CAI on it at 8000 miles, and have had no problems. The car runs like a charm. Lucky I guess!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts