Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, happy new year,
im in a serious concern.. please advise

i JUST bought a 2011 Sonata SE 2.0T w/ Nav + Sunroof
on 12/31/13
GREAT CAR LOVING IT BTW
Today 1/2/14 is a Big noreastern snow storm. (12inches where i live)
i UNDERSTAND TODAYS CONDITION IS WORSE THEN NORMAL SNOWSTORM.
i lived in New England for 15 years and the PREVIOUS OWNER 50miles moreNORTH than i am.

I opened the hood to refill windshield washer fluid.
to find out ALOT OF SNOW IN MY ENGINE COMPARTMENT

I brought it back to the dealer (near by) and he said its NORMAL.
Few autozone employees stated thats a bit too much of a snow.

Scared...I bought a K&N Air filter to reduce H2O intake with in my air intake.

When i opened the air filter compartment, i saw MORE snow and it was covering about 50% of the air chamber

THIS IS AFTER REMOVING THE ORIGINAL AIR FILTER (BOTTOM HALF OF THE INTAKE CHAMBER)

I had a 2003 hyundai sonata before this, and DID NOT HAVE SAME ISSUE AT ALL.

At the moment... i did best i could... Vacummed the snow, wiped it down with paper towel.. and installed K&N air filter.....

Data:
Distance: 10 mile driving
Mode: ECO ACTIVE ON
Speed: 5~25mph
Time: 1 hour
Weather: Snow (1inch /hour) + Wind Gust upto 15~20mph (WEATHER.COM)
Undercarriage plate is INTACT

please feel free to email me : [email protected]
i also have video i took in my garage after my travels
**posted in a wrong forum before sorry for repost**

Attachments

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Holy crap that's a lot of snow! I'm glad we don't have to worry about that in south Florida.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is often 3~5 times per winter here in New England.
One of the reasons why i paid few more $ for 2.0T, its the torque that i needed to plow through snow...
for the record, i drove during this weather's WEAKEST point (work to home w. CVS)
I ALSO want to point out the fact that i DO UNDERSTAND THE WEATHER WAS REALL BAD, but this feels a bit too much snow??? yes? no?
im seriously worried... any suggestions? advise ?? opinion?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in the suburbs of Chicago, "rather be in NE, huge Pat fan" but the storm left us yesterday and dropped 16 1/2 inches. With that being said, I have a 2013 Sonata GLS with the popular package and have had zero snow accumulation in my engine bay. But I have an idea, just a thought, the rubber weather striping that is under the hood at the front, there's plenty of room on the sides to add these without getting in the way of anything. Obviously it's safe since it's already there and I'm sure it'll give you more protection from the elements entering. The strips are appx $13 each at the dealer. I'm just throwing this out there as a possibility. Good luck.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm not sure if that is normal with the Sonata but that definitely is a concern. Hyundai should not have placed the intake inlet in that area.

·
Registered
99 Posts
was this the first time? monitor the situation to see if it happens again in moderate snow, could just be one of those things that happens in freak storms.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY, PLEASE KEEP POSTING IDEAS FOR ME, IM seriously worried...
for:
SonataFan:
YUP i do agree, but before i want to invest any more, i bought a K&N dry charger wrap ....should be on its way with in next 3 snow storms.. hahhahah

jpr8308:
YUPP GO PATS!!! hope your doing ok in Chicago, (dropped bout 15 inches my house)
Took 4 hours to clean it up, i like the rubber strip idea. i wil go to dealer and ask.

sonny:
im a computer engineer and DATA is GOLD to me.... so here are the data i collected
1st drive:
5miles w/ MILD SNOW = 0.5 inch inside air intake (MEASURED WITH MY FINGER....)

2nd drive: 10miles w/ MODERATE SNOW = 2~3 in INSIDE AIR INTAKE
3rd drive: 7~10miles w/ HEAVY SNOW = 3inches + INSIDE AIR INTAKE
4th drive: 5 miles 2/ NOR-EASTERN CLIMAX (3~5INCHES /HOUR) = more than HALF my intake is CLOGGED, AND SOME FROZEN (restricts ALOT OF AIR FLOW)

Opinion Data:
1) DEALER STATES THIS IS NORMAL (DEALER WHICH I BOUGHT CAR FROM)
2) Autozone (3 places) + 1 Pepboys Mechanics state: "its tooo much, not even super old cars get THIS MUCH in air intake (nevermind the engine bay.....)

ANY IDEAS ON NEXT STEP? SHOULD I TALK TO THE SALES/DEALER???

my next PLAN of action is to take it to a DIFFERENT HYUNDAI DEALER... and ask for hyundai opinion (i BOUGHT the car from a HYUNDAI dealer , just different location)

PLEASE HELP ME,
BY THE WAY THANK YOUS OOOO MUCHHHHH
and happy new year

1 - 8 of 8 Posts