Sonata Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Sonata with about 4500 miles. I noticed a squeak or creak in the left rear of my auto when traveling at very low speed over uneven terrain.
I took it in to the dealer and he confirmed the problem was there. I had to leave it overnight as the problem could not be located at the time.
I picked it up the next day and the problem was 85% gone, but the creak is still there and drives my crazy.
The service performed at the dealer was "Lubricate and retorque control arms".
I am afraid that this is probable a temporary fix and the creak will once again return to its previous condition.
Has anyone else had this problem or can point me in the right direction. I am very disapointed that a new car would start squeaking and creaking with only 4500 miles.
Thanks for your help.
Walter

·
Registered
2 Posts
I joined this forum for the exact same reason.

My 2012 SE Turbo has a "creaking" sound coming from the left rear of the car. It happens slowly going over uneven terrain. It happens when both loading and unloading the rear suspension.

The dealership said it was a body creak and would have to take the car for several days. I got it back and noticed the sound was still there although 75% of it was gone. This first occurred with 1500 miles on the clock. They repaired some body welds and greased up the rear suspension.

After a few hundred miles the sound gradually returned. So at 2500 miles I brought it back again. This time I took one of the head mechanics around the block and he verified that the sound was back (he remembered my car from the first go around). After taking the car apart for four days they were unable to find the fix.

I'm now being told to bring it back on 3/5 so several Hyundai engineers can check things out. Rental car number 3!

I'll bite my tongue at the moment as far as the service goes. I haven't exactly been thrilled with the handling of this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took my Sonata back to the dealer for the creaking noise and believe we have the issue solved. There was some posts about the bolts to the chassis from the sub frame about being too long and rubbing. I watched the mechanic and he removed these bolt but didn't see any evidence of the bolts being the problem. Nevertheless he ground a little off the end of the bolts.
We believe the problem is the bushing that the bolts go through is the culprit. One of the bushings looked bad. He applied lubrocation to the bushing and the noise is gone.
New bushings are being ordered and will be replaced. The mechanic talked to the Hyundai Service Rep and believe that this will cure the problem.
As of now the creaking noise is gone but I will post an update on this forum after we replace the bushing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like that's a similar problem to mine.

After 4 tries they seem to have cured it. They put some foam in between some metal panels and shortened the alignment pins that were used during assembly. Apparently they had evidence of rubbing metal on metal.

So far so good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fix with the bushings were called off after an engineer from Hyundai gave my service dealer a supposed fix dealing with some bolts installed at the time of assembly.
I never got the fix from my service guy but he said he had to drop the sub-assembly and remove some bolts.
So far I have not had any more creaks. Got my fingers crossed...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have same issue on my 2012 Sonata Limited with Paranomic sunroof

Hi all,

I'm glad to find someone other than me to share the issue!!

although it sucks to have this kind of issue on our brand new cars..

I have 2012 sonata 2.4 limited with paramonic roof and I have same noise

which seems like coming from the B-pilar and I also have rattling noise

that is coming from the rear of glass roof.

I've serviced 3 times withing a month with the issue but after a day,

the issue came back.

and I'm scheduled to go back to dealer again for the 4th time next week.

what they did was, took down the headliner and "shimed" b-pilar bolts.

and still the issue hasn't been sloved yet..

if it's not fixed for the 4th times, I am seriously considering to make a

request to the manager for an exchange of the car within the rights of

lemon law...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Sonata with about 4500 miles. I noticed a squeak or creak in the left rear of my auto when traveling at very low speed over uneven terrain.
I took it in to the dealer and he confirmed the problem was there. I had to leave it overnight as the problem could not be located at the time.
I picked it up the next day and the problem was 85% gone, but the creak is still there and drives my crazy.
The service performed at the dealer was "Lubricate and retorque control arms".
I am afraid that this is probable a temporary fix and the creak will once again return to its previous condition.
Has anyone else had this problem or can point me in the right direction. I am very disapointed that a new car would start squeaking and creaking with only 4500 miles.
Thanks for your help.
Walter
I had the same problem in my 2012 Sonata SE. The squeaking, creaking noise came from the right rear, at about 1000 miles. The service dept adjusted the straps holding the fuel assembly the first time. The noise occurred again that same night. Went back 1 week later to have them fix whatever was causing the problem, this time they said it was mounting pins that hold the frame together in the factory, until it is bolted down. one of the pins was rubbing against metal. They took the rear panel off, shaved down the pins, and said they also adjusted the crossmembers. You are right, the noise drove me crazy and was not normal for a new car. It sounded like something was wrong with the suspension, and the service dept even said they thought it might be the suspension. Bottom line, after something else happened, I said "that's it", wrote the owner a letter, and the owner of the dealership gave me another new 2013 Sonata SE with 10 miles on it. Hyundai's are good cars, but every now and then the factory produces a lemon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Sonata Limited with 2000 miles and I have been hearing that creaking sound almost since day one (my car had 315 miles on it when I purchased it) and wondered about it but have not had time to take it back to dealer for repair. Now after reading all the posts I am wondering if it can be repaired. I mostly hear it when backing and turning slow speeds and I know it is coming from rear of car but can't tell if it is left side. Guess I'm gonna have to take it in. Hopefully if Hyundai is aware of the problem they have a permanent fix for it now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Even though mine is a lease 2012 SE Turbo 2.0 I have the same problem and thought it was also only me - just went over 1000 miles and have noticed it the same as everyone else low speeds, over a speed bump or turning etc.

Mine is coming from the rear behind the driver and sounds like its coming from the bottom of the door - its very noticeable when of course the radio isnt on in which i dont hear it but its def not a normal sounds once you hear it -

So is there a fix in the works? Should i contact Hyundai World Wide and see if we can can a service bulletin sent out - i was thinking i would just have it looked at when i go in for my first oil change as i dont feel like leaving the car for days as i know thats what will happen -

·
Registered
1 Posts
Squeak or creak in right rear of 2012 Sonata

I was experiencing the same noise in my 2012 Sonata. It is new and I only had about 1,000 miles on it when the squeak started in the right rear area of the car. It concerned me because the noise sounded just like it did when the struts on my old Santa Fe started to go. Although the noise only happened at slow speeds, I really didn't think a brand new car should be making this noise.

I took it into the dealership and had them take a look. At first, they thought it was the strut. They put on a new one and they were still getting the same noise. The tech was great and continued to dig deeper until he found the problem. He said that it was the "lower rear crossmember guide." The pins were rubbing. It sounds a bit like what a few of the other forum members has posted.

I hope this helps. The guys at Bob King Hyundai in Winston-Salem were great. It took a while, but they didn't give up. Once they found the problem, they fixed me up and I was ready to go.

I am completely satisfied with my Sonata and am glad this issue has been resolved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts