Sonata Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread earlier about the air bag light on the dashboard. I checked under both seats for loose wiring that was suggested was the problem. I couldn't find anything loose. Would it be wise to unbolt the front seats, then lay them back to gain better access under the seat??

Someone said that a SRS code could be read to tell me where the problem is in the system. Where, besides a dealer, could I get the code read? I have asked, and am told the auto parts stores don't have an SRS code reader.

Thanks for any advise!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the codes. I printed them out for future reference. However, in my experience, you can only read codes if and when you have a Check Engine Light (CEL). I don't have a CEL, just an "air bag" dash light.

I called Advance Auto Parts store, and asked them if they could read an SRS code. They said they could not. So, I guess it takes a special code reader to do this, not an OBD2 reader, which is what Advance has.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You might be right! I thought the Codes were stored and can be read by a Dealer or someone who has the correct reader. I have never had a Check Engine Light, although I had the SRS light 3 times which needed repair, and recently got the ESC/ESC off twice. Those other codes do also apply to the Sonata as well. Let us know how it works out!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might be right! I thought the Codes were stored and can be read by a Dealer or someone who has the correct reader. I have never had a Check Engine Light, although I had the SRS light 3 times which needed repair, and recently got the ESC/ESC off twice. Those other codes do also apply to the Sonata as well. Let us know how it works out!

Big Bob.........I am still fussing around trying to solve the mystery of the lit Air Bag light on the dashboard. I checked with one private repair garage, and they wanted $85 to just read the Seat Restraint System (SRS) code. A dealership is prolly charging the same or more for code reading. I am too cheap to throw money around that easily. Someone, maybe you, said a faulty seat belt wiring connection under a front seat could be causing the lit dash light. To check wiring, it appears that the seats need to be unbolted, lifted up, and laid back to gain access to the underneath side. Is this a correct assumption? Have you, or anyone reading this post have an answer to this question?

Thanks for any responses...........Roostr22, Larry

·
Registered
63 Posts
Big Bob.........I am still fussing around trying to solve the mystery of the lit Air Bag light on the dashboard. I checked with one private repair garage, and they wanted $85 to just read the Seat Restraint System (SRS) code. A dealership is prolly charging the same or more for code reading. I am too cheap to throw money around that easily. Someone, maybe you, said a faulty seat belt wiring connection under a front seat could be causing the lit dash light. To check wiring, it appears that the seats need to be unbolted, lifted up, and laid back to gain access to the underneath side. Is this a correct assumption? Have you, or anyone reading this post have an answer to this question?

Thanks for any responses...........Roostr22, Larry
Please Larry, when it comes to a DIY on the SRS system be advised that there is danger working on it yourself, or taking it to a local shop. If a Dealer is available authorize their $90 an hour, possibly as low as a half hour admission charge so that the HYUNDAI proprietary GDS Scanner can be used. This is a matter of safety and there are too many points of contact that can be affected. I'm sure the part will not be expensive. The wiring is snaked all around the Sonata and poorly at that! Your diagnostic charge under most circumstances might be applied to the repair.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please Larry, when it comes to a DIY on the SRS system be advised that there is danger working on it yourself, or taking it to a local shop. If a Dealer is available authorize their $90 an hour, possibly as low as a half hour admission charge so that the HYUNDAI proprietary GDS Scanner can be used. This is a matter of safety and there are too many points of contact that can be affected. I'm sure the part will not be expensive. The wiring is snaked all around the Sonata and poorly at that! Your diagnostic charge under most circumstances might be applied to the repair.
Thanks for the advise. I was unaware of any danger working on the system. Prolly time to cry "uncle," and take it to the dealer. Their repair costs scare me to death. It is always $100 for this, and $100 for that, without blinking an eye. That is why I try to fix things on my own.

I did replace the sun visor for about $45. I bought a replacement through e-bay. Took 2 minutes to install. Dealer would have charged $145 without blinking an eye.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Srs stands for safety restraint system, it is not specific to the seat belts, and includes everything from crash sensors to air bags. If one of these components fails the srs light will come on. Hyundai will most likely charge you for diagnostics labor by the hour. Usually if it takes only a few minutes they don't charge you for the full hour. I would take your vehicle to them. Their scan tool can read any code and identify potential problems. It's your best shot at solving your problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.