Sonata Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in 2010 Hyundai-Kia promised stop/start across their lineups by 2012... That promise seems to of been broken, but not without good reason. Turns out Hyundai is less sure of stop/start technology now than they were in 2010.

Stop/start technology automatically turns off the car’s engine at idle and then restarts it with acceleration. Hyundai U.S. CEO John Krafcik had this to say about stop/start tech “What we’ve found is, it’s difficult to show a 1-mpg (0.4 km/L) benefit, (per the EPA city-driving test), depending on how rounding goes,”. Meaning the darling automotive tech with regulators is actually quite benign.

Krafik then goes on to give us some strange insight into the minds of Federal regulators “The scary thing is some of the regulations are going to drive the proliferation of hybrids and electric vehicles going forward. And those cars could overwhelm the number of customers who demand them.” American car buyers severely lack enthusiasm for hybrids and yet U.S. regulators’ have vowed a Hybrid in every garage!

Government meddling in business is quite jangling to the basic principle of supply and demand, with auto makers being mandated to build hybrids and consumers reluctance to purchase leaves makers building cars consumers don't want and then are forced into deep price cuts and heavy incentives just to move out the old stock for next years batch of failures. This is all wrapped up with CAFE targets, Krafik had this to say “We’ve been trying to focus on (asking the government to) let us hit the CAFE number and don’t necessarily force a technology.”

There isn't one single technology Hyundai is counting on to achieve future CAFE targets. Instead, Hyundai is taking a team approach, making use of lightweight steels; improved aerodynamics; continuing development of low-rolling resistance tires; and advanced gear boxes, including a future 10-speed automatic.

Victory by committee, glad someone is standing up to the regulators.. Can anyone with a Sonata Hybrid share what its like living with stop/start technology?

·
Registered
374 Posts
American car buyers severely lack enthusiasm for hybrids and yet U.S. regulators’ have vowed a Hybrid in every garage!
Actually there were some stats put out showing that Hybrids and EV's sell very well, I believe more than they were expect to. So the American government wanting to make a push to have a Hybrid or EV in every garage is the right thing.
It will actually force auto makers to make cheaper hybrids and EV's to appeal to the mass market.

No more $40k and up Hybrids.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hybrid start/stop

We've only had our Sonata Hybrid for about a month, but the start/stop on the Hybrid is seamless. Iit starts out in EV mode from a stop and the engine turns on when needed. Without watching the dash EV indicator you can't tell when the engine starts. I would think, however, that on a non hybrid car the advantage of start/stop would be negligible.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually there were some stats put out showing that Hybrids and EV's sell very well, I believe more than they were expect to. So the American government wanting to make a push to have a Hybrid or EV in every garage is the right thing.
It will actually force auto makers to make cheaper hybrids and EV's to appeal to the mass market.

No more $40k and up Hybrids.
The problem isn't cost, its performance. Woong-chul Yang, president of Hyundai’s R&D operation, quips it perfectly “We’d need seven times the level of performance at 20 times less price,”

The problem with battery storage of energy is it decays over the life of the vehicle. There is no efficient solution to store energy on board a vehicle yet, something magnetized would be a sweet solution.

So with lackluster performance and those $40k price tags you have to own a SOnata Hybrid for example over 10 years before you can actually count any savings. The increased price of the Hybrid offsets the fuel efficiency gains.

If performance was better than a $40k tag could be justified, its like buying a $300k Ferrari only to realize your 458 came with a 4 cylinder... Im sure it would be a fantastic engine if built by Ferrari but its not exactly what you were looking for..

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think that demand for hybrids and EVs is growing and it will continue to as the technology makes it so that there is no sacrifice of performance. The options for EVs are proliferating. You can get small and large ones, affordable and expensive ones. It will also increase demand once there is more infrastructure to charge cars in more locations.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think that demand for hybrids and EVs is growing and it will continue to as the technology makes it so that there is no sacrifice of performance. The options for EVs are proliferating. You can get small and large ones, affordable and expensive ones. It will also increase demand once there is more infrastructure to charge cars in more locations.
Only thing holding the EV market back is the lack of infrastructure, people need places to charge their cars and it's not that easy to find a charging station. Once the infrastructure is at a good stage, the EV market will explode even more.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont think demand for hybrids is spiking at all. I think more and more makers are building hybrids but I dont see more and more people buying them. All sales data about the growth of hybrid sales is absolutely skewed by the glut of Hybrid and EV models makers are coming out with. Makers are coming out with gluts of HYbrid and EV vehicles becasue they have sunk so much money into the programs they need to try and recoup costs even if it means a sub par vehicle. All makers are trying to scale up production and ratchet back costs.

The Volt for example costs $89K to manufacture but retails for $40k. One dealership near my house has sold all of 1 Volt this year....

EVs and Hybrids are about trying to meet CAFE standards for fuel efficiency. EV technology is not the future, magnets are the future.

Hyundai themselves have said they are trying to escape producing hybrids people dont want, I've only ever seen a handful of Sonata hybrids.

If someone can pull up some data that tells me I'm wrong, I'll be all for discussion...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts