Sonata Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to swap out your existing factory radio, with the OEM Nav unit? Really want to do this, have found some good units, but the parts guy says not possible...I just dont see how it is not possible, based on the pin configuration...just wondering if anyone has done this...

New to the site, have a 2011 Limited with Dimension HD radio....

·
Registered
12 Posts
DIN is a size standard for car radios. About 2x7"
Double DIN is twice the height, about 4x7".

My Jeep had a double DIN sized radio.

·
Vendor
96 Posts
Has anyone tried to swap out your existing factory radio, with the OEM Nav unit? Really want to do this, have found some good units, but the parts guy says not possible...I just dont see how it is not possible, based on the pin configuration...just wondering if anyone has done this...

New to the site, have a 2011 Limited with Dimension HD radio....
It is possible, just most of the time it's expensive. Figure on likely needing the wiring harness changed, OEM Nav unit, the antenna, and other various trim pieces. Could easily be $3-4k just for parts. Much more cost effective just to get an aftermarket GPS.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It is possible, just most of the time it's expensive. Figure on likely needing the wiring harness changed, OEM Nav unit, the antenna, and other various trim pieces. Could easily be $3-4k just for parts. Much more cost effective just to get an aftermarket GPS.
Aftermarket GPS's are the way to go. I find OEM GPS's to be really basic and the unit to be restrictive on what you can do compared to what's available in the aftermarket.

To the OP i would go for an aftermarket double din GPS from Pioneer or Clarion, they're really good!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd like to upgrade my standard 2012 Sonata radio also but I've had bad luck with another car when I installed an aftermarket GPS. The voice commands and cell phone quality on the stock radio is pretty decent. Are there any after market units that retain this functionality?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts