Sonata Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a close look at your vehicle owner’s manual. The Hyundai warranty protection requires that you maintain your vehicle on a schedule based on time or mileage, “whichever occurs first.” Maintenance service must be completed every 6 months or 7,500 miles, “whichever occurs first.” If you are like me, and only drive about 5,000 “normal” miles during a 6 month period, you should perform all the factory “recommended” maintenance services at 6 month intervals to preserve your vehicle warranty. And keep all of those maintenance service receipts!

To maintain your Hyundai warranty by a time schedule:
Replace your engine oil and filter every 6 months.
Rotate your tires every 6 months.
Perform the factory recommended 6 month inspections every 6 months.
Replace your engine air filter every year.
Replace your climate control air filter every year.
Perform the factory recommended 1 year inspections every year.
Flush your brake fluid every two years. (Okay, they don’t recommend this…but I do.)
Perform the factory recommended 2 year inspections every 2 years.
Replace your engine coolant (50/50 mixture) every four years.
Replace your automatic transaxle fluid (ATF) every 5 years. (Again, they don’t recommend this…but I do.)
Keep every garage maintenance service receipt.

For those of you who drive your vehicle under “severe” conditions (read the owner’s manual to see what “severe“ means) some of the above time schedule may be supplanted by mileage-based service requirements. Be aware that if you drive too little or in certain other “severe” conditions, Hyundai may determine that your vehicle is driven under “severe” conditions, and the above service maintenance time schedule may have to be altered to reflect your “severe“ usage.

I just want to make sure you get to keep the nice Hyundai warranty even though you may not drive 15,000 miles every year. Without the receipts for service and inspections at the necessary time or mileage intervals, Hyundai may take that nice warranty away from you. Keep those receipts!

Does anyone know if Hyundai is flexible (at all) about recognizing reasonable time and mileage maintenance service combinations for “normal“ vehicle operating conditions?

Proud owner of 2012 Sonata GLS

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wifes Sonata is due for 30,000 kilometre check they say ( only has 22,000 km.),

I was going to have the oil changed and filters, put summer tires back on.

I figure have the brakes checked when tires off, eh.

do you think that would satisfy them ?

regards,

t.j.

·
Registered
222 Posts
They don't usually check for these things unless they think the warranty claim is directly related to abuse - that is when they will ask you for paperwork for the maintenance.

Their recommendations aren't too far out there. I like to keep my cars well maintained.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts