Sonata Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As one of six midsize cars on the list, the Sonata is the 18th best selling car of 2013 so far. This is despite a decrease in sales of 12.3%. Obviously the Sonata and its segment generally are in demand, but why the decrease in sales. If you ask me, the design of the car is getting a little old at this point. It may be time for Hyundai to redesign the Sonata.

Do you think the Sonata is in need of a redesign, or could there be another reason for the drop in sales?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If there were some spy shots wouldn't they be on this forum???

I would love to see them. Next generation Sonata should look great. As much as I get tired of renderings, I would love to see some of what people think a redesigned Sonata would look like.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here is a picture from ^^this^^ article. It is a good looking car, the 2014 Sonata. A redesign would work wonders for the Sonata if it is done right. You can't be complacent and stay on top, so Hyundai will have to make sure this redesign keeps it ahead of its competitors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I read somewhere that their ratings were so bad for fuel economy in 2010 that it caused the engineers to become overly focused on aerodynamics instead of style. I hate to say it but as far as styling, I'd go with a new Ford Fusion at this point over the YF. I plan to stick with Hyundai but I'm waiting on a new design. Maybe if Hyundai teamed up with someone as Ford did with Aston Martin, they could come up with a better design and not forfeit mpg. .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read somewhere that their ratings were so bad for fuel economy in 2010 that it caused the engineers to become overly focused on aerodynamics instead of style. I hate to say it but as far as styling, I'd go with a new Ford Fusion at this point over the YF. I plan to stick with Hyundai but I'm waiting on a new design. Maybe if Hyundai teamed up with someone as Ford did with Aston Martin, they could come up with a better design and not forfeit mpg. .
Bringing in new blood is always a good way to update designs. Hyundai has also been trying to separate and define its brand image from Kia's. A new hire or consultation could also help them in doing this.

Hyundai needs to come out with an avant garde concept car. I find the Hyundai concept cars to be pretty boring. Hyundai should come out with a revolutionary concept car that defines a new design language for the brand. That is what i'd like to see.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bringing in new blood is always a good way to update designs. Hyundai has also been trying to separate and define its brand image from Kia's. A new hire or consultation could also help them in doing this.

Hyundai needs to come out with an avant garde concept car. I find the Hyundai concept cars to be pretty boring. Hyundai should come out with a revolutionary concept car that defines a new design language for the brand. That is what i'd like to see.

Well put! I couldn't agree more, they hold a lot of titles at this point..They've been an underdog and have come a looong way from the 1980's Hyundai Excel haha but as you said, if they found a way to "define a new design language for the brand" at this point. Something that sets them aside from all other brands. Keep the prices and warranties where they're at! They truly have an opportunity to become superior above all other brands.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yea, were getting the redesign next year.. I doubt it has to do with the Sonatas design falling off the cliff but more to do with increased competition in the segment. Since 2009 all of the Sonatas rivals have been refreshed or redesigned. Where Sonata once benefited from being the freshest and ahead of rivals in its design cycle, it now lags behind because of its sprint out of the gate. Ever watch horse racing where one horse flys out of the gate only to loose the race coming out of the final turn, similar to the Sonata..

As for the redesign the 2015 Sonata redesign is expected to make its official debut at the auto show in New York, while sales should commence in the third quarter of 2014. Although Hyundai isn't radically changing the underpinnings of the next-gen Sonata, Hyuindai will reportedly improve Sonatas ride quality and handling.

There are Spy shots floating around, just no one has bothered to put them up...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not like I am expecting it to be revolutionary or anything. A nice update will keep it looking fresh, but it will still look like a regular, popular, mainstream vehicle.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's not like I am expecting it to be revolutionary or anything. A nice update will keep it looking fresh, but it will still look like a regular, popular, mainstream vehicle.
Actually on the next gen Sonata the styling is expected to take a step backwards, The exterior design will be more conservative because of weak reception of the current model in Korea...

·
Automotive Lighting Experts
422 Posts
I like the current styling, but I'm interested to see what direction they go with the new Sonata.

If you are correct about the more conservative styling, I will be a little disappointed

Nick C.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am trying to imagine how they will make the styling more conservative yet still forward thinking and modern. It seems like that would be hard to pull off. And more conservative styling isn't exactly the best way to generate hype or entertain people at an auto show or press conference.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am trying to imagine how they will make the styling more conservative yet still forward thinking and modern. It seems like that would be hard to pull off. And more conservative styling isn't exactly the best way to generate hype or entertain people at an auto show or press conference.
I'm expecting them to go big on technology in that case, its the only way for the Sonata to compete against its competitors. I mean cars like the Accord, Camry and Altima arent exactly setting the world on fire in terms of design. The Fusion is clearly the most attractive vehicle in the segment..

Check out this spy shot of the camoed '15 sonata beside a current sonata

the '15 sonata looks to have a more upright snout compared to the current gen. I have a feeling the new Sonata is going to pull heavily from the new Mistra sedan exclusive to the Chinese market.

·
Registered
99 Posts
that camo actually is shaped very much like that mistra sedan.
Yep, and similarily sized as well

Mistra Dimensions

Length: 4,710 mm
Width: 1,820 mm
Height: 1,470 mm
Wheelbase: 2,770 mm

and the Sonata
Length: 4,820 mm long
Width: 1,836 mm
Height: 1,470 mm
Wheelbase: 2,795mm

Its barely a full inch difference in size between the Sonata and Mistra. Besides why develop a new Sonata when you've already developed this... I bet underneath the Mistra rides on the same platform and uses the same bits to get itself going...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shortening the hood / front end of the vehicle is a fine choice. It depends on hwo they execute it. If it ends up looking exactly like this Mistra sedan it would be a missed opportunity to do something a bit more eye catching. In the end they just want the vehicle to be as mass market popular as possible, and often that means doing less instead of more.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Shortening the hood / front end of the vehicle is a fine choice. It depends on hwo they execute it. If it ends up looking exactly like this Mistra sedan it would be a missed opportunity to do something a bit more eye catching. In the end they just want the vehicle to be as mass market popular as possible, and often that means doing less instead of more.
yes but eye catching happens in two forms, one is graceful or elegant beauty, the other is wretched ugliness....

Hyundai is already on record that the new Sonata will be more conservative to appease Korean shoppers. Chinese shoppers are similarly conservative. I think not using the Mistra for the next Sonata would be a missed opportunity. The Mistra already provides everything the Sonata does in a more conservative package. Why throw money at developing a new Sonata when its ready made, that just seems redundant to me...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts