Sonata Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My treads are shot on two of the tires with only 30k! Now I am unfortunately looking for a new set of all season tires. The OEMs are Kumho Solud KH25. Save to say I will not be getting these disasters again.

Currently looking at the Michelin Primacy MKV4s and the Hankook h727s. size=205/65/16

The Michelins speed rating is an H (Hankook is T I believe) which is suggested for the 2011 sonata gls and I don’t mind shelling out the extra for a better tire, if it is better. Not sure if T and H are much different. I've only had H+ on past cars.

The hankooks are more price friendly and seem to be as good as the Michelins. Anyone have any experience with these tires? Tirerack gives a $70 rebate on the Michelins making the total only about 10 bucks more each tire than the hankooks. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
My treads are shot on two of the tires with only 30k! Now I am unfortunately looking for a new set of all season tires. The OEMs are Kumho Solud KH25. Save to say I will not be getting these disasters again.

Currently looking at the Michelin Primacy MKV4s and the Hankook h727s. size=205/65/16

The Michelins speed rating is an H (Hankook is T I believe) which is suggested for the 2011 sonata gls and I don’t mind shelling out the extra for a better tire, if it is better. Not sure if T and H are much different. I've only had H+ on past cars.

The hankooks are more price friendly and seem to be as good as the Michelins. Anyone have any experience with these tires? Tirerack gives a $70 rebate on the Michelins making the total only about 10 bucks more each tire than the hankooks. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
T speed rating is 118mph, H is 140mph. Generally go with the oem tire speed rating or higher. I like the H727s myself... want a set for mine, but they don't make my size :(

If you want more selection and cheaper prices you can get a different size tire... 215/60R16. The reasons why Hyundai goes with the 205/65R16 are for fuel economy; less contact, and slightly taller tire (better for hwy mpg).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Do speed ratings really make that much of a difference? Some people say you should pay attention to the speed rating when buying tires while some other say don't bother with it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Do speed ratings really make that much of a difference? Some people say you should pay attention to the speed rating when buying tires while some other say don't bother with it.
Generally speaking, the higher the speed rating the better the performance... but doesn't always apply. Really depends on your driving style. If you're not going over 100mph and hard cornering on a daily basis, you should be find with the S speed. If you do occasional hard cornering, etc. then go with something higher like H or above.

I go with the performance categories on tirerack. The tires I buy tend to be in the high and ultra high all-season performance category as those tend to have better all around performance and they usually have a higher speed rating.

TireRack's classifications of the speed ratings

·
Registered
7 Posts
If anyone wants to save some money, give the Walmart tire center a try.

I was feeling extra frugal this summer when I got new tires from Discount Tire Direct delivered. So I went to Walmart on a weekday morning.

Four guys swapped out the tires on my car in about 10 minutes. It was much cheaper than the prices I was quoted at Firestone, NTB, etc.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I am looking to buy a 2012 sonata 2.0 LTD or Hybrid, but the road noise is too loud for me. Will changing tires help?

·
Registered
39 Posts

I have 26,500 miles on my Sonata, and the OEM Kumho Solus KH25 tires are now at 4/32's tread depth remaining. I could probably comfortably go another 5,000 miles on them (which for me is 4 months.) However they have become extremely noisy, and the tread pattern itself is wearing away very quickly.

I plan on replacing them soon with Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum in the 205/65/16 size. They have a "V" speed rating, 60,000 mile treadwear warranty, and are very reasonably priced. Plus Kumho is offering a $50 rebate right now when you purchase 4 of the Ecsta LX Platinums.

The Ecsta LX Platinum reportedly gives you 90% of the performance of the Michelin Primacy for 75% of the price of the Michelin. I am willing to give that a try :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
How about the Kumho Ecsta 4X's? Great reviews on tirerack. Will different tires solve the unsettled steering at highway speeds?

·
Registered
41 Posts
T speed rating is 118mph, H is 140mph. Generally go with the oem tire speed rating or higher. I like the H727s myself... want a set for mine, but they don't make my size :(

If you want more selection and cheaper prices you can get a different size tire... 215/60R16. The reasons why Hyundai goes with the 205/65R16 are for fuel economy; less contact, and slightly taller tire (better for hwy mpg).

Bestr bet is consulting tirerack.com for not only comparative pricing but also comparative performances between tires. Only thing they don't do is actual wear testing, but their site has ownerfeedback which they incorporate tread wear in one of the catagories. Pretty accurate stuff.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Absolutely matters as any tire engineer will tell you. Running a tire beyond its rated speed is virtually insured to blowout. Only thing more deadly than that is underinflating tires. Just ask Ford about Explorers.
You can run underspeced tires but your chances of failure increase with amount of underspec even if you don't exceed the speed of the underspeced tire. Tire construction matters.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have 26,500 miles on my Sonata, and the OEM Kumho Solus KH25 tires are now at 4/32's tread depth remaining. I could probably comfortably go another 5,000 miles on them (which for me is 4 months.) However they have become extremely noisy, and the tread pattern itself is wearing away very quickly.

I plan on replacing them soon with Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum in the 205/65/16 size. They have a "V" speed rating, 60,000 mile treadwear warranty, and are very reasonably priced. Plus Kumho is offering a $50 rebate right now when you purchase 4 of the Ecsta LX Platinums.

The Ecsta LX Platinum reportedly gives you 90% of the performance of the Michelin Primacy for 75% of the price of the Michelin. I am willing to give that a try :)

The construction and materials in T rated tires are much less strong than H rated. Going to Z rated also reduces weight but much better materials and contruction. I will also say Michelin makes very good tires but they are extraodinarily proud of them. You should know the price they sell to manufacturrs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am looking to buy a 2012 sonata 2.0 LTD or Hybrid, but the road noise is too loud for me. Will changing tires help?
Yes...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Tire Replacement

I bought a set of Hankook V12 evo 245/45 ZR 17 99Y's back in 2009 about 6 months after buying the car and 2 of them still have plenty of tread on them (I'd estimate another 10K at least). When I bought them I had about 15K on the car; I had 45K when I bought the two new ones. The other two became worn because I never got a front end alignment after buying the car (which I should have since it was used). So I expect my new set to last at least 40K.

They are an excellent tire, even in the rain and I'm an aggressive driver, especially for the price. I get mine from a dealer here in LA for $120 a tire; that includes mounting and balancing (but have to pay cash). I also have a set on my GCoupe, replacing the OEM Potenza's.

So if you're looking for a good tire at a good price, Hankook all the way!

P.S. Right now Hankook is giving an $80 rebate on a set of 4 V12's!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not happy with the OEM tires on my 2011. Alignment is off from delivery and now wearing the tires unevenly. Tire selection for 205 65R16 is extremely limited, I would like to jump up to a 215 65R16 where there is more of a selection available. Need to get an alignment and possibly new tires. Is there a document out there that can tell me what optional sizes are available that will not void my warranty or cause problems if some some reason i needed wty work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not happy with the OEM tires on my 2011. Alignment is off from delivery and now wearing the tires unevenly. Tire selection for 205 65R16 is extremely limited, I would like to jump up to a 215 65R16 where there is more of a selection available. Need to get an alignment and possibly new tires. Is there a document out there that can tell me what optional sizes are available that will not void my warranty or cause problems if some some reason i needed wty work.
Hyundai would need to prove that using a tire size other than "stock" directly caused a mechanical or part failure before they could void your warrany. That being said, I would try to stay with the stock size while under warranty just to be safe. It is true that there are very few H-rated or better tires in the 205/65R16 size. I have found the following:

Kumho Solus KH25 (OEM tire, H-rated)
Kumho Solus KH16 (H-rated)
Kumho ecowing KH30 (V-rated)
Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum (V-rated)
Toyo Versado LXII (H-rated)
Falken ZIEX ZE-912 (H-rated)
Michelin Primacy MXV4 (H-rated)
Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 (H-rated)
Pirelli Scorpion STR (H-rated, intended for crossovers, but would work just fine)
Nexen CP671 (H-rated)
Nexen N5000 (H-rated)
Hankook Optimo H426 (H-rated)
Bridgestone Turanza EL42 (H-rated)
Yokohama YK520 (H-rated)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Finally getting the OEM Kumho Solus KH25s off this morning and replaced with Michelin Primacy MXV4 in the stock size. Looking forward to getting those Kumhos off the car. They are basically shot after 31,000 miles. They are at about 4/32's tread depth at this point and really noisy/rough riding.

Hopefully the Michelins will be smoother and quieter.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Finally getting the OEM Kumho Solus KH25s off this morning and replaced with Michelin Primacy MXV4 in the stock size. Looking forward to getting those Kumhos off the car. They are basically shot after 31,000 miles. They are at about 4/32's tread depth at this point and really noisy/rough riding.

Hopefully the Michelins will be smoother and quieter.
Michelin's have a good rep for being smooth and quiet tires. Even their winter tires dont give off much road noise compared to other winter tires that are priced the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tyres

I fitted Dunlop SP Sport Fast Response and what a difference over the Kumo's.

Quiet tyre with superior grip over the originals with noticeably more feedback through the steering wheel. Worth the extra $$ if possible.

·
Registered
41 Posts

We got a giggle out of your complaint on 'only' 30k miles on the front tires. (we got 22k). We have had good expeience with Hankooks but if you expect 40 k better invest in Michelins.
About that T rated tire vs H; T rated is limited to 118 mph speeds and there is drawback to them if you run much at interstate speeds, aka 70-80 mph.
And check Discount Tire foir prices that include shipping, which tirerack adds $10 a tire to ship.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Absolutely matters as any tire engineer will tell you. Running a tire beyond its rated speed is virtually insured to blowout. Only thing more deadly than that is underinflating tires. Just ask Ford about Explorers.
You can run underspeced tires but your chances of failure increase with amount of underspec even if you don't exceed the speed of the underspeced tire. Tire construction matters.
Reading what you said and doing research, i'm seeing how bad going beyond the speed rating can be, wow. Thankfully I keep a tire pressure gauge in my car and check tire pressure often :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts