Sonata Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 2017 Hyundai Sonata from a very good well known used car lot. It only had 4,500 miles on the car when I bought it. I’ve had it since September of 2021. It now has a little over 15,000 miles on it when it started giving me trouble. I had it towed to a repair shop near my home and they said there were engine problems they couldn’t fix. I contacted the used car corporate office and they are working with me. I do have an extended warranty on it. I have to wait til May 30th to get it diagnosed by their mechanic however I’m out of work until I can at least get a rental car. Personally I feel they should just exchange the Sonata for another car. Every day I’m out of work I’m loosing money since I get paid by the hour.
the car just suddenly started jerking and the check engine light started flashing. I can only get the car to go up to no more than 60 miles per hour and even then the engine slows down on its own even with the gas petal pushed to the floor. What should I do? I can file a lemon report with the car being bought used. I can’t afford an attorney but I don’t think I can sue anyway. I just wish the dealer could exchange the Sonata for a different car. A rental car is going to cost me $7.50 a day until the 2017 Sonata is fixed if it can be fixed. Please give me some advice

·
Registered
14 Posts
First l, when you buy used, your buying ‘As Is’ and lemon laws don’t apply to the used car dealer. If that were the case then there wouldn’t be used car lots. When you buy used always have a good trained mechanic inspect the car before you buy.
Second, have a good mechanic look at the car. Not the one the auto warranty tells you to use, and or take it to a Hyundai dealer for any warranty repairs.
Lastly it sounds like your car is in “limp mode”. But limp mode should only limit the vehicle to under 40 mph not 60. Sounds like a possible transmission problem. If so, take it to the dealer. Hyundai has a 10yr/100,000 mil warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Point here is take it to Hyundai for inspection.
The service center of the used car dealer called me yesterday and gave me the two codes. Basically he said I would have to take it to a Hyundai service center to get it fixed but it is still under warranty until September.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts