Sonata Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just picked up a 2013 Sonata, my first car since the 98 Corolla I inherited when I turned 16, and obviously I love it (forget the sunroof, it's just nice to have power windows and cruise control!)

One thing I still am unable to figure out is how to use the button on the door handle to lock the car (instead of using the button on the smart key). I read through the manual (the forums won't let me post a link, so add a period after hsguide and before net: hsguide net/smart_key_functions-710.html) and it should be straightforward, but every time I push the button I get the long 3-second chime, and the doors don't lock.

The manual says the possible causes of this are:
-The smart key is in the vehicle (but it's in my pocket)
-The ignition switch is in Acc or On (it's a push to start and it's off)
-Any door except the trunk is open (I double checked, including the hood)

Using the lock button on the key should fail under the same conditions, but it works as expected. It also works fine to unlock the door using the button, and I've checked to see that the hood and all doors are closed (I don't get any indicators while I'm driving or anything).

I'm sure I'm doing something dumb, but the manual makes it seem pretty straightforward so I don't know what else to try.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you have both sets of keys? If you have the push button ignition, stick your key in your armwrest to Start it and then turn it off.. Im assuming for some reason your car thinks the key is still in the car. If that doesnt work take it to the dealer

·
Registered
8 Posts
How far away from the door are you when you press the button. This sounds redundant but try having the pocket with the key right next to the handle when all doors are closed and should work. I've had my 2011, 2013, and 2014 all do the same thing and I literally had to face the other way so the car could sense the key

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey all,

I just picked up a 2013 Sonata, my first car since the 98 Corolla I inherited when I turned 16, and obviously I love it (forget the sunroof, it's just nice to have power windows and cruise control!)

One thing I still am unable to figure out is how to use the button on the door handle to lock the car (instead of using the button on the smart key). I read through the manual (the forums won't let me post a link, so add a period after hsguide and before net: hsguide net/smart_key_functions-710.html) and it should be straightforward, but every time I push the button I get the long 3-second chime, and the doors don't lock.

Using the lock button on the key should fail under the same conditions, but it works as expected. It also works fine to unlock the door using the button, and I've checked to see that the hood and all doors are closed (I don't get any indicators while I'm driving or anything).

I'm sure I'm doing something dumb, but the manual makes it seem pretty straightforward so I don't know what else to try.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

Had this happen to me it was the headlight switch was in the manual on position. Put it in Auto and it that stopped it. Check it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Simply have the key fob in your pocket etc. Press the button one time to unlock drivers side, twice to unlock all doors and a third time locks all again. From the passengers side one press unlocks all doors and an additional press re-locks them. You must be within approximately 2 feet of the door and no additional key fob can be present inside of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all,

Any ideas??

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was having the same issue and looked it up. It does sound straight forward, so much so I almost missed it. It says it will not work with the door open and the door is going to open if your getting out. I don't like that but thats the way it reads. Let me know if im wrong or you figure it out otherwise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having the same issue and looked it up. It does sound straight forward, so much so I almost missed it. It says it will not work with the door open and the door is going to open if your getting out. I don't like that but thats the way it reads. Let me know if im wrong or you figure it out otherwise.
I just purchased the SEL Premium yesterday and have the same issue. I can only lock the door with the key fob.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,

Any ideas??

Thanks!
Just had the same problem with my 2014. Try verifying that the doors are all closed, when you use the key fob to lock the doors you should get a confirmation beep, if you don't, it means one of your door switches out, probably the driver side door.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts