Sonata Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 09-10 Sonata V6 SE is ~3550 lbs. Thats heavy. Weight kills MPG and performance. Im pretty sure there isnt much weight to reduce besides the spare tire, tools, trunk mats, back seats etc... But removing the spare tire is not a smart choice, and removing the back seats just looks ghetto. Anyone have any ideas for ways to reduce weight? Some things I had in mind.

1) 17-18" lightweight rims. The stock rims are ~22lbs (17" aluminum). There are many 16-18 lbs rims to be found, and it is critical to keep rolling weight to a minimum. Also, keeping the rims NO larger than 18" will help to prevent increasing the gearing of the already too tall gear ratio. Id run 14" wheels if it didnt look so silly just to reduce the gearing a bit. Much better performance to be had... but that method is unattainable.

2) Removing trunk carpet and board. Leave spare tire/tools in unless you want to risk a major headache! ;) Also remove engine cover. These weight less than 15 lbs together though, so its pretty much pointless.

Aaaannnddd thats about it. Anything more will just reduce the comfort in the cabin, in my eyes. Or it will just look ghetto. Any ideas???

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, Im serious. Anything to reduce weight and help MPG is worth a shot in my book. The lighter the car, the less energy required to move it, the less gas you use!

Also, I think everyone has experienced a little loss of performance when they have a passenger in the car, in any car really. Car manufacturers go to great lengths to keep weight down in most cars, so why not try to do a bit at home? Im peeved that there are no performance parts for this car, so Im looking into the only real thing I have control over. Weight reduction also helps tire wear... brake life... cornering ability...etc.

But again, as I said, this is more of a family type sedan and any worthwhile weight removal will end up looking ghetto or uncomfy. So this thread may be moot, unless anyone has some bright ideas!!! haha :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
470 Posts
just custom make every single body panel on your car to carbon fiber and slap on some 18" high offset volk te37's........ trololololol

and 14" wheels on our cars would be the most rediculous thing to look at

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just custom make every single body panel on your car to carbon fiber and slap on some 18" high offset volk te37's........ trololololol

and 14" wheels on our cars would be the most rediculous thing to look at
Id run 14" wheels if it didnt look so silly just to reduce the gearing a bit.
Thanks for the constructive comments.

·
Registered
470 Posts
well, the whole topic you are asking is impossible to provide a constructive feedback LOL

seriously, sonata isnt a race car, i know you are trying to save weight to save gas mileage, power, brakes etc. etc blah blah, but honestly, theres nothing you can do... and even if you do find something to reduce weight, it will just look extremly stupid and ghetto just like you said.. and in the end, its just a family car and these procedures probably wont even help much or have a positive impact

however, lightweight wheels are probably the best choice in this game, but most sonata owners are not willing to spend the large dough on wheels anyways, so whats the point?

if you were so worried about the weight distribution etc and aftermarket parts for the sonata, why didnt you just buy something else in the first place? not trying to be rude, but just asking

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, the whole topic you are asking is impossible to provide a constructive feedback LOL

seriously, sonata isnt a race car, i know you are trying to save weight to save gas mileage, power, brakes etc. etc blah blah, but honestly, theres nothing you can do... and even if you do find something to reduce weight, it will just look extremly stupid and ghetto just like you said.. and in the end, its just a family car and these procedures probably wont even help much or have a positive impact

however, lightweight wheels are probably the best choice in this game, but most sonata owners are not willing to spend the large dough on wheels anyways, so whats the point?

if you were so worried about the weight distribution etc and aftermarket parts for the sonata, why didnt you just buy something else in the first place? not trying to be rude, but just asking
I see what you are saying, but I was in a bind and needed a car asap because my old car blew a timing belt and wasnt worth the cost of fixing it, literally. I went to a couple dealers and this car took me by surprise, and had a good price tag, so I grabbed it. I was in the process of saving up for a 2004 Z06 vette, but life has a wonderful way of throwing rocks in your socks. After test driving a few vettes, Im hooked. Its just gonna have to wait. But in the meantime I may find something even better! :)

But anyway, I think lightweight wheels will be pretty much the only thing that will really be do-able in this department as well. Just trying to have the most fun and enjoyment I can with this car.

·
Vendor
96 Posts
Carbon fiber hood and trunk will reduce weight some. As will racing seats. Maybe replace exhaust components with light weight ones. Talking lots of $$$ here though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Carbon fiber hood and trunk will reduce weight some. As will racing seats. Maybe replace exhaust components with light weight ones. Talking lots of $$$ here though.
Sorry, just ran across this thread. Where could one find a carbon fiber hood and trunk for our NF?

·
Registered
470 Posts
although, i did see a few oem style wet carbon fiber hood on nf's during my visit to korea a while back, but most likely custom made since labor is cheap in korea or a small unofficial company that doesnt want to be involved with international shipping etc etc.

·
Registered
470 Posts
^ +1 what he said.. just enjoy the car, do small cosmetics

if you are so concerned about weight reduction... just get a different car

·
Registered
222 Posts
It is going to be hard to do weight reduction on a Sonata. Because it isn't a pure performance car there wont be much aftermarket lightweight parts for it. You can go custom but it will be costly. You might be better off buying a lighter car to being with if performance is your main concern. Or get a custom turbo kit made for you. Make more power! That will solve your weight problem.

Things you can do though extreme in this case would be:
Gut entire interior
Remove spare tire
Aftermarket forged rims
Lightweight titanium or steel full exhaust
Carbon fiber or fiberglass body panels

etc etc.

·
Registered
130 Posts
weight reduction on a sonata..... don't do it.
it might cost you more in the end, just drive conservatively, don't drive like a d-bag.
CF parts are expensive, especially from Seibon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ummm...if so concerned about fuel economy - there are two very obvious answers:

1. Keep her properly tuned. Maintain your engine and fuel systems. Spend a few bucks here and there and stay on top of things. Keep your tires inflated, and perhaps look into low rolling resistance models. You know all this already I assume.

2. Drive like your grandma. No, not like my grandma - she always got lots of tickets, crazy old lady. Drive calmly, accelerate slowly, anticipate stops by letting the car decelerate as much as possible on it's own before braking - meaning don't ride the gas right up to the stop light. Again, stuff we all learn in third grade.

If you are after "performance" (as your comment mentioning a corvette alludes to), then you bought the wrong car my friend. But still, you may be able to squeeze a few extra horses out with step #1 above. How many miles are on your car now, and how have you been with factory maintenance?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ummm...if so concerned about fuel economy - there are two very obvious answers:

1. Keep her properly tuned. Maintain your engine and fuel systems. Spend a few bucks here and there and stay on top of things. Keep your tires inflated, and perhaps look into low rolling resistance models. You know all this already I assume.

2. Drive like your grandma. No, not like my grandma - she always got lots of tickets, crazy old lady. Drive calmly, accelerate slowly, anticipate stops by letting the car decelerate as much as possible on it's own before braking - meaning don't ride the gas right up to the stop light. Again, stuff we all learn in third grade.

If you are after "performance" (as your comment mentioning a corvette alludes to), then you bought the wrong car my friend. But still, you may be able to squeeze a few extra horses out with step #1 above. How many miles are on your car now, and how have you been with factory maintenance?

THIS!

Keeping up with the maintenance schedule, and having proper driving habits are key for getting the best gas mileage out of your car.

Even try hypermiling, i've done it and it save you money in the long run.

Fill up your tank all the way, drive conservatively until that whole tank is done and you'll be amazing at how long it lasts you compare to previous habits you may have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts