Sonata Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dislikes
Auto tragic (i wanted manual but would have had to wait awhile)
Throttle response (well ...electric throttle) i'm a cable guy
Lack of aftermarket for the 2.4 motor (i know it's a family sedan )

Exterior
MPG
Aftermarket support for the exterior

·
Registered
4 Posts
I like my manual, but the one thing I don't like about the car is that the radio I have in mine doesn't show the title and artist - only shows it in Sirius.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Great driver feedback
Interior and exterior styling
Warranty
Comfort
Fuel Economy

Dislikes:

Problems with bluetooth connectivity

·
Registered
2 Posts
Low Tire Pressure Light

2012 Sonota 2.0T. Really like the car, great gas mileage (I'm getting about 37-38 on highway), it's sporty looking. Seats get a bit hard after 10 hours and I'm really tired of getting low tire pressure warnings. 7 + times this year. 3 dealers, 2 tire companies and several air pumps later - this is what I get from Hyundai:

It is caused by my using a "coiled" cell phone charger?????? YGTBSM.

They say, that just above the manufacturer provided plug ins (for mobile chargers) is the receiver/transmitter for the tire pressure system. They say that the coiled type charger cord causes some type of fault code?????

I think the answer is BS. Especially when the tech suggests plugging in back seat - but guess what - no capability in back seat. Say what?????

Anyone having similar problem?

·
Registered
39 Posts
2012 Sonota 2.0T. Really like the car, great gas mileage (I'm getting about 37-38 on highway), it's sporty looking. Seats get a bit hard after 10 hours and I'm really tired of getting low tire pressure warnings. 7 + times this year. 3 dealers, 2 tire companies and several air pumps later - this is what I get from Hyundai:

It is caused by my using a "coiled" cell phone charger?????? YGTBSM.

They say, that just above the manufacturer provided plug ins (for mobile chargers) is the receiver/transmitter for the tire pressure system. They say that the coiled type charger cord causes some type of fault code?????

I think the answer is BS. Especially when the tech suggests plugging in back seat - but guess what - no capability in back seat. Say what?????

Anyone having similar problem?
I have only ever had 1 false TPMS alert since I purchased my car new. Didn't have anything plugged in to the power ports at the time.

I usually do not charge my phone (or any other device) in the car. I have a car charger in the event the phone gets low, but have never used it.

This seems like it would be easy to test. Drive for a couple of weeks with the phone constantly plugged in. See if any false readings happen. Then drive for a few weeks without the phone plugged in and see if any false readings happen. If false readings always seem to happen with the phone plugged in, it could very well be that the charger is the cause.

I just read an article the other day about the new Scion FR-S. The reviewer said when they put their iPhone on the passenger seat, the car thinks there is a passenger in the seat and turns the passenger airbag on. Turns out there is interference from the phone causing the car to think there is a passenger in the seat. Interference from your charger could actually be a legitimate reason for the false TPMS warnings.

As it relates to the likes/dislikes with my Sonata:

Likes - great value for the money, bluetooth, satellite radio, great gas mileage, good performance for a 4-cylinder.

Dislikes - OEM tires were horrible, build quality could be better, more soundproofing needed, A/C could be a little colder, car seems to need routine maintenance more than other cars

As a member of my family said..."It seems Hyundais cost less to purchase, but they require more frequent maintenance than other cars. That is where the cost savings disappear." I think I agree with that. This car is very hard on engine and cabin air filters. I am on my 4th engine air filter, and 5th cabin filter in only 31,700 miles. Luckily they are very easy to change myself, but I have spent $120 on filters since buying this car. Previous cars I have owned would only need an engine filter every 12 months and a cabin filter every 30,000 miles or so.

Coolant got changed at 30,000 miles. Really?? Again, other cars I have owned would go 60,000-100,000 before needing a coolant flush and fill.

Hyundai "normal" oil change interval is 7,500 miles. "Severe" interval, which 99% of owners would fall under, is 3,750 miles. Dealer recommends every 3,500 miles (obviously to pad their bottom line.) I go back every 4,000 miles. If Hyundai wasn't so notorious for denying warranty coverage due to non-dealer performed maintenance, I would change the oil myself with full synthetic and go 7,500 miles at a time. Luckily, the dealer only charges $34 for an oil change but they are using bulk conventional oil. Not the most desirable, but since the Hyundai dealer is performing the service it better preserves the warranty.

Whenever I am at the dealer waiting for my car to be serviced, it is interesting to see people's reaction when the service writer informs them of something that is needed. "Mr. X, your Sonata needs a cabin filter". "Why? The car only has 10,000 miles on it." "Sorry Mr. X, but as you can see the filter is extremely dirty. For $89 we will replace the filter and disinfect the system with a special spray." A recent favorite was "Mrs Y, your Sonata needs new wiper blades." "Already? The car is only a year old!" "Your wipers are streaking badly. The Sonata uses special blades that are $55. Would you like us to install them for you?"

I just shake my head, knowing that for $14 I can go to NAPA and get a cabin filter and do it myself in 5 minutes. If I wanted to, I could spray Lysol into the system and "disinfect" the system just as well as the dealer. The Sonata does not use special wiper blades nor does it have a special connector. Any 26" driver and 18" passenger blade will fit on the car.

This is my first Hyundai. Based on my experience with this car I would definitely get another without reservation (knowing it may need more frequent routine maintenance.) Maybe an Azera or Genesis sedan next time!

·
Registered
1 Posts
List things you like/dislike about the Sonata here;
I am new to forums but not to Hyundai. My Sonata is a 2003. It is making me nuts. I love it but lately I can't unlock the doors with the remote. The lock/unlock doors lever on the driver side door doesn't work. The radio plays whenever it wants to even though I don't turn it on. What is wrong and how can it be fixed?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am new to forums but not to Hyundai. My Sonata is a 2003. It is making me nuts. I love it but lately I can't unlock the doors with the remote. The lock/unlock doors lever on the driver side door doesn't work. The radio plays whenever it wants to even though I don't turn it on. What is wrong and how can it be fixed?
With past experience. Some doors have a wire linkage from the lever to lock mechanism which have white clips to hold them in place. It's possible one of those clips broke and you need a replacement. Not sure how the setup on the Sonata is.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Love the car, does circles around any of the many Hondas ive owned previous but i am very picky so here is a genuine list of things i have picked up so far at 4k miles

The styling
The Wheels on the 2.0T
The 2.0T being faster than most V6s (acceleration could be better)
Navigation unit & radio quality (speakers are better than average and give good bass) + the nav traffic and weather which come in handy
Phone music streaming (HD quality rather than FM transmittor which is am amazing jump in tech)
Bluetooth and connections for everything (ipod, aux, usb, etc..)
Smooth ride while a passenger in rear
Electric steering + handling is pretty tight
Gas mileage on HWY
Rear backup camera with sonar (lines follow your path of direction so you can line up your car to the spot)
All the cubbies and cup holders you can ask for (love the phone pocket and hidden side holder)
Interior lighting (love the blue)
Trunk space and included cargo net for holding things in place

Dislikes

The rear driver side creaking at low speeds
The check engine light at 4k miles (something to do with the transmission link going from Park to Drive and feeling a jump)
The Eco gearing + the Eco rewards system
The Navigation goes both ways (dislike the fact that the sonata does not have factory video capabilities and the voice over is very computer-ish)
Hankook all season performance Tires are pretty noisy
The emergency parking brake which has no visual light on dash to tell you its engaged
AC unit seems to struggle when driving in Eco mode
Lack of HIDs or front LEDs

·
Registered
21 Posts
E Brake on instrument panel

Gee my 2012 2.0 SE has a warning light on the instrument panel when the E brake is engaged. Mine is Harbor Gray maybe thats why lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Gee my 2012 2.0 SE has a warning light on the instrument panel when the E brake is engaged. Mine is Harbor Gray maybe thats why lol
Took her in for her first service appt. will see what the verdict is on that one, very strange if you ask me but could have been a fuse that was never replaced at the dealer or something - :confused:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

very weird, i want to say it could be that your ebrake is worn out but it's a 2012 model, so thats not possible.

plz update us with your findings

·
Registered
27 Posts
very weird, i want to say it could be that your ebrake is worn out but it's a 2012 model, so thats not possible.

plz update us with your findings
Just got her back here is the run down on all that was fixed:

1. Ebrake (no visual light on dash to show its engaged) - was a connector issue from delivery was never secured (looked loose and not properly fitting tight enough), a new connector was installed -

2. Rear Creaking right driver/passenger side - is a known issue for some Sonata's (dont know if its a 2.0T issue only) but its a delivery pin/bracket rubbing/moving issue like some others have found out - once found can be corrected - you will know if you have this issue, low speed esp turning say over a speed bump you can't miss it, like an old door is being opening that hasnt had any wd-40 on it but alot deeper of a creaking

3. Check engine light at 4k (tranny link?) was a temp gauge (not exact wording if anyone needs it i can locate exact issue on paperwork later) issue somewhere (not engine overheating thermostat, something different) was replaced and is cause for "jumping feeling" when shifting from P - D at times - (happened 3x randomly) -

4. Eco mode driving - shaking/bogging down engine 1x after check engine light disappeared very noticable- dealer could not replicate no further action taking after new temp gauge installed (#3 above)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Glad to know all your problems got dealt with.

BTW why you get rid of the ZX-6R

What do you like more? Your V6 accord or your 2.0T Sonata :D

Just took a look at the new generation accord. Looks kind of ugly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i like the line that flows up the side of the new Sonata, has a really good fluid look. what i'm kinda erked by is the way the Elantra looks just like it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Glad to know all your problems got dealt with.

BTW why you get rid of the ZX-6R

What do you like more? Your V6 accord or your 2.0T Sonata :D

Just took a look at the new generation accord. Looks kind of ugly.
I miss Nina! (the ZX6R) lol ... I got rid of her a year to date of getting her right before the season ended due to moving in with the girl (money and no where to park her).. She was a blast and very fast (think vtec but with a redline of 16.5 :eek:) but not as torquey as say the 10R which comes off the ground on just about every gear!

I also miss my old '06 V6 (the sound and instant pick up) but as an overall car I like the sonata alot better (comfort, tech, ride, room, etc.) I will however reconsider the black color on my next car (the summer has proven black gets at least 10 degrees hotter than I feel all my other cars did) - As for my girls '11 V6 its nice and the pickup is hard to beat but has a built in Eco which you cant turn off which i do not like and the interior is very very dated compared to the Sonata -

The new accord looks like the current generation just with some cosmetic changes and i heard the interior is like the TL and TSX interior so nothing original or new there either :rolleyes: I did however hear that the Nav will be hooked into facebook somehow which i think is a bad idea -

·
Registered
11 Posts
color-venetian red
pretty much everything. dont have nothing bad to say about my new Hyundai
well maybe one thing, if I want to accessorise the exterior all available parts are across
the pacific....which sucks..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts